Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 07-28-2005   #71

I’m an Architect too & sure its easy to find problems with their proposal, but lets communicate some of the items, we, as boaters, would like to be addressed by Christo & Jean Claude.

It seems that the visiting tourists have the potential to do exponentially more damage than the people erecting the project. How will they manage those people? What thought has been given to the thousands of tourist that will be driving up through the mostly 2 lane river valley to see the project. What are the post project clean up plans?

Are they planning to create project viewing locations and/or improve existing ones(handicapped access?)
high viewing locations(looking down on project), road level viewing, water level viewing. parking, access paths, facilities?

Emergency personnel access along the river if the roads are bottlenecked with visitors.

river access, raft season rapidly winding down at this time of year, w/ ever lowering water levels
I’ve boated this section & at this time of year it is getting bony & slow going for rafts to navigate through the many rocky sections(appears Spike Buck rapid is under the proposed cover)
limiting # of boats, assigning launch times to outfitters(vs. launch “windows” currently).
addressing private boaters access between the hundreds(?) of commercial rafts,
does every boater need to be permitted. This is not a stretch for beginners on inner tubes or wall-mart rafts, endangering everyone around so they can experience the “ART” floating on the river.
Other than those already mentioned, Other concerns?

milozooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #72
It is sometimes hard to see the beauty in a finished piece of art. The actual "art" in this project is in the concept, proccess and execution of it. I think it is cool. I would love to boat under it and stand next to it if only to say that I did.

It will gain world wide intrest in our back yard. Only good can come of this. More money and attention will be and already is devoted to this section of river because of this probable project.

If your concerns are the impact after the project is over, I am confident the NPS, DOW, AHRA, Countless rafting companies and the boating community will hod them accountable.

If your concerns are with the wild life, the DOW has double your concern and will make the right decision.

Go to the meeting, ask your questions, and enjoy the proccess of art.

onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #73
Here's the latest from the "artists"

paddlerchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #74
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

As an agent of dialogue,
I must commend those of you who are able to take all things into consideration. Every point that has been made has been a valid one. Concerns, critiques, positive, and proactive. What needs to happen is to continue this conversation, with the artists, the communities, the "bureaucrats" etc... bring everyone together and search for that common ground the common understanding.
To me it is so clear that one of those things is that you all care about this proposal to do this artwork. Be constructive, be honest and be open to having a greater understanding of this issue as a whole.
I wish I could be at the meeting Monday. I too would like to have a voice in this!
Peace Out
madmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #75
Check out this parody of Christo's last show "The Gates" in NYC.

Ciara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #76
In the Post article, Christo was quoted as saying "After two weeks they can have their canyon". Does this mean the canyon will be closed while they work?
GagePLoungin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #77
Engineering Student
Hmmm, Is it just me, or do their other creations remind you of a 6 year olds fort that is built with couch cusions and bed sheets??? 6 year olds however, come up with their own shaps, not just cover up others...

But, on an actual point, just by the looks of the pictures of their past events or "art works", the shear crowds that this will draw in a short time of 2 weeks could be dissasterous to the river area. They would have to build dozens of side walks and park ways to accomidate the masses - are those removable too?
justinlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #78
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by justinlk
But, on an actual point, just by the looks of the pictures of their past events or "art works", the shear crowds that this will draw in a short time of 2 weeks could be dissasterous to the river area. They would have to build dozens of side walks and park ways to accomidate the masses - are those removable too?
Here's a quote from their sight.

The road running along the river, and the existing footpaths leading to the water will allow the project to be seen, approached and enjoyed from above by car or bus, and from underneath on foot or by raft or kayak.
Sounds like they are not planning to expand the foot trails.

But I agree on your thoughts. Just imagine 100,000 cars driving by, stopping for a look and turning around to do it again, because they drove across country to see this masterpiece. All of the viewers will be concentrating their visitation to a seven mile stretch of river corrodor. All them cars making a U-turn will be a specticle in it's own rights.

And all this happens in a 24 hour period.....................for two weeks...................maybe the number of people that visit each day will exceed those numbers...............................and what's the first thing people do when they stop....................someone's just got to go pee in the bushes...................poor little bushes.....
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #79
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
"The Crackers" was dope, yo. The duck looked stoked. Maybe JC should just throw some crackers in the Ark.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #80
the fort, Colorado
ive definetly learned some new stuff about this project, like that it will only be up for 2 weeks. Personally i think its stupid and it can only bring bad things.
Maybe it could be good for the ark valley economically, and the actual artwork might not effect the environment, but the construction and all the ignorant tourists will for sure.

PLUS with all these thousands of people and the construction process, think about how much kayaking will be done. Im sure ther will be conflicts with making this thing and people using the river. And when all those people are up ther looking at this crap think about how hard it will be to get up there and do some runs.

And if its so busy and crowded people wont be abel to go fishing or swimming
or lots of stuff. People wont be able to use the river normally for a period of time

I think it is a stupid idea, and a lot of people agree with me, but it will probably go through unfortunatly

prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote