Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 03-14-2005   #21
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
There is an artical about this in the Denver post today...

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #22
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Make a good thing yours

Perhaps the paddling community could use the opportunity proposed by Christo to emphasize what is important/troublesome/awesome/fun/conflicting about the arkansas. You bring what you can to the art party. While Christo is a character, his art is always about bigger issues. The most important issue being the community's relationship to the river.

Don't make any snap judgements. If it happens, I know I want to be a part of it. I think paddling under the curtain will be like paddling under the water, similar to squirt boating, but you don't have to come up for air.

Keep your mind open,

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #23
Artist to Drape Canopy Over Ark. River

Here's the link...

telegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #24
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If I had millions of dollars burning a hole in my pocket, covering the Ark in clear plastic would be first on my list! These people should spend their cash on psychiatric evaluation and treatment.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Please tell me you all hate this, right?
We'll stir up the engines, figure out who to write to and do what it takes to not let this happen, right?
I don't give a rat's --- what some 70-year-old eccentric thinks is art; he can stay the hell away from our river or if he wants, he can peacefully float down it and leave NO TRACE, like my friends and I do a couple of times a week.
The Ark, be it Brown's Canyon, Royal Gorge or Bighorn Sheep Canyon, is beautiful enough as it is. Don't f--- with it.
Keep the curtains, please.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #26
Denver, Colorado
A friend of mine has had an artist's rendering of this project hanging on his wall for years. I was offended at first too. Now I'm undecided... as long as the impact is minimal, I think it would be pretty cool to boat through. My understanding is that it is to be a temporary installation anyway, so if it looks like shit it won't be up for too long.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #27
link to pictures of the project

check out this website that has pictures of the proposed "artwork"
xerophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #28
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
No, no and hell no.

There's no way that can not interfere with life in and around the river.

And the first time the highway 50 pull-out I use for a take-out is full of construction equipment, I find some cable dangling in the water, or some piece of equipment is blocking a rapid or a good surf wave ... Look out.

Seriously, there's no way any boater can support this in good conscience[/i]
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #29
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I am hoping that if this project goes through I do not have to wage a one man war on Mountainbuzz. Search this topic and you can get my extended version...

If you think that the stretch of river that this project is proposed for is "pristine" or "can't be improved on" take a closer look. Big Horn sheep canyon, Parkdale whatever you want to call it, has been heavily impacted by the railroad and highway. Much of the rock is broken and jagged. The banks are often devoid of vegetation and many of the rapids are artifical. So it is not as though these folks have picked the Grand Canyon or even Browns for that matter.

How do you criticize one person's artistic vision? What is this the Focus on the Family message board? Think of the commitment it takes to pull off one of these projects. You don't get it? No one gets it. You are not supposed to understand. If it was your idea you would be the guy wrapping islands and hanging curtains in Central park. What is the issue really? I am serious I want to know what is so offensive? Are you worried about the Big Horn sheep being able to get to the water? Be specific.

I think this is a cool thing and a unique statement. I don't get it either and I am not modern art guy but I think paddling under this thing would be really cool and knowing what I know about the historic impacts on the Upper Ark this seems to me to be far less offensive.

Those of us who live in the Upper Ark valley are really excited about the possibilities. If we got a quarter of the attention that New York City got during the Gates we would be really happy. I just hope that cool, laid back, boater types would not be super closed minded about this project and that if you have questions you seek the answers. The artists had to complete a EA for this project. It has not been completed yet so there is a fair ammount of public process that still needs to happen. So stay tuned and you will have your chance to comment.

On August 1 there is a slide show and presentation by Christo and Jean Claude at the Steamplant in Salida. The tickets are $20 and the proceeds go to the Steamplant which is our non-profit, community theater. I just found out about it while I was writing this post. Appearently they are going to present some of their past work and answer questions about the Over the River project. So come on up and paddle the Salida park while you are here. It is flowing over 900 today and the holes are great...by the way.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #30
student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
Do we have to let them play in our sandbox?! let those bastards do this crap over the mississippi, not the ark. I seriously doubt they can leave the area as they found it.. plus the wildlife in the area will freak.. i hope a the day they put that crap up, we get some major storms rollin' down the valley..."art", my ass..

spend the money on something worthwhile.. the artists renderings from the website are good enuf..er.. i mean.. bad enuf.

chili is offline   Reply With Quote