Old 11-12-2006   #1
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Chaffee County Food

Heading down the first weekend of Dec. for some hot water soaking, up Chalk Creek way. What's the local knowledge for resturants. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Also, do you think the road will be open up to St Elmo?

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006   #2
pnw, Washington
I think the name is Jan's in BV on the main drag. Good omellete and coffee and its warm inside.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006   #3
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
the good food is at the missing spoon right next to jan's.

If you want chicken fried steak then jan's is fine but if you want something more than just edible then missing spoon.

For a good pizza or calzone try pizza works.

Breakfast is the evergreen. You can never go wrong there.

have fun
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006   #4
My vote is for the Evergreen Cafe for breakfast and the missing spoon for dinner. I've heard that the folks that own the missing spoon may be moving and closing the place. Anyone know if this is still happening?
westfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006   #5
Can't go wrong with an Ed from the Gunsmoke for breakfast. Evergreen is good Missing Spoon is good, I wouldn't be surprised if the quality at the Missing Spoon started going down. I don't think the owners want to have the place anymore but they won't make any decisions on it. Quincy's is good for dinner. Salida has a lot of good places to eat too; better choices then BV.

You should be able to get up to St. Elmo still at the beginning of Dec. just don't expect to drive much farther then to the town.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #6
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Anyone care to chime in on Salida?
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #7
Salida food

Breakfast = There is a greasy spoon on 50 called the EATERY. Good as greasy spoons. BONGO BILLY'S 1st St (1st hole in the WW park Salida) in both and in BV is a good place for the coffee shop atmosphere they have muffins/scones/lighterside fair etc.

Lunch = gotta go to MAMA D'S on F and 1st St. MOONLIGHT PIZZA at F and 3rd or 4th(?) is the BOMB for pizza and calzones.

Drinks = BENSON'S for wings and beers. Or you can wander across the street to the VIC for some hardcore local flavor.

Enjoy your stay.
RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #8
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Laughing ladies is one of my all time favorite restraunts. The evergreen cafe is the shit, but don't tell anyone because it's becoming impossible to get a seat there during paddling season....oh wait that secret has been outed like the M wave. I also second quincy's. In leadville check out the Grille for great mexican food and tennessee pass cafe for dinner. I also hear the Thai place in Poncha springs is excellent though I haven't been.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #9
Web Developer/Programmer
Gotta chime in for my fav breakfast spot in salida. patio pancake on 50. good cheap eats.

Oh, and that new place across from the skate park in Salida is actually pretty good too. I just can't think of the name.
Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #10
Georgia Moonshine
you hippies should eat at the rescue mission, it is free, but they might make you work.

But, that work thing sorta gets in your way doesn't it?

Trout_Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote