Old 10-17-2006   #1
C. Springs, Colorado
Caving........who wants to go?

In the summer, it's hard to get me to go underground, unless it includes dirt bike riding or rafting in order to visit the cave. But now that the water is low and the skiing has yet to start, I'm all about going caving. Anyone care to go with?

Here is the deal. I'm in the local caving club (called a grotto). Between Labor day and Memorial day, our club does a lot of caving on the Cave of the Winds property. I'm a trip leader there, and can take up to 5 other people with me, on a trip. Since this is a club who has permission to be on private property, there is a list of rules and requirements.

Basically, you must sign a release waiver, and bring or wear the proper equiptment for a safe, low impact trip. This includes, helmet, three sources of light. One must be mounted to your helmet, be it duct tape or whatever. Most climbing helmets have some way built into them to attach headlight to.

Small pack with some food, water, extra batteries and lights, an a bottle of some sorts, to pee in. Sorry, no peeing in the caves. I would also suggest old clothes, knee pads and elbow pads. Knee pads are almost a must have item as there are long craws in all the caves. Whatever you bring with you or wear is going to get torn up and dirty.

PM me if you want to set something up. FYI, Cave of the Winds is in Manitou Springs. I cave there most every weekend in the winter months.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
do you go anywhere else to cave besides the springs area?

fulford cave is great, and getting to hubbard and ice caves are a lot of fun. spring cave has some beautiful water made formations. i want to get to porupine cave, but heard its on private property?

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #3
C. Springs, Colorado
I do go to other caves such as those you listed. Most of the caves in the state are snowed in, in the winter. That's why I prefer the caves here in town. If you do visit Porcupine, make sure to take a dust mask. The place is incredibly dusty to say the least. The cave is surrounded by private property, but there is a strip of public land you can approach it from. It's basically straight below it.

One word of caution about caving..............tell someone (who cares enough to come looking for you) exactly where you are going and when you will be back. If you don't and something happens, you just dug your own grave, like it or not. OK, enough with the safety speech. Now pass that spleef......I mean......lets go caving
Old 12-06-2006   #4
Engineer, Lift Op
Sounds like a fun time

Hey Sounds great i'm in... got my own gear... and experiance... any chance a good part though??? Last time I went it was a little dead some cool stuff on the lower parts though!
BPskiextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #5
C. Springs, Colorado
I've been going a couple of times a week. PM me and I'll take you to see some really cool stuff in a very beautiful cave.