Old 08-20-2008   #51
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
All the while, Putin is amassing his personal wealth. He is a Totalitarian - scaring the heck out of his own constituents - the people.

Granted he fears NATO to be at his borders via the breakaway Caucasus countries, hence his actions in Georgia, which, was, btw, a move he new he could take without reprisal from NATO. If Georgia had not created an opening for Putin, they would be sitting pretty with its bid for NATO membership. But, then, NATO would probably have hesitated in order not to really piss him off. lol

Will be interesting to see what develops. One thing is for sure, Georgia will never be able to get South Ossetia, a semi-sovergein territory, to enter its fold. And, will probably not be admitted into NATO (at least for now) for its actions.

ch678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #52
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by marko View Post
WWIII? If it were to happen it would be the insane leaders of the US who would be the biggest instigators of it happening.
I agree except what do you mean by insane? Do you mean they are misguided dimwits? Or calculating demon spawn?

How much of this is due to:

(1) posturing to maintain political power (like Livingston said) without much thought given to the ramifications (misguided dimwits).

(2) "mission accompished" "this-is-the-way-we-deal-with-the-world" cowboy bravado (misguided dimwits).

(3) a devised plan to expand the empire and achieve a one world government (demon spawn).

Calling them insane means to me that they don't know what they doing. I'm not so sure. It takes calculating to do what they're doing while keeping the voters occupied on inconsequential shit like Obama or McCain's latest gaff. Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #53
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sure, maybe I should have used a different word to describe our current leaders. How about we call them arrogant-warmongering-psychopathic-FUCKS.

So, yeah, I will go with number 3.

Let's not forget to hold the complicit democrats accountable as well.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #54
Denver, Colorado
I don't remember who the quote was attributed to, but on The Thom Hartman Show the other night I heard, "Russia is playing chess while the U.S. is playing Monopoly."

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote