Paddling Since: 2006
I can respect that.

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #12
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
What happened? You guys can't start talking about a shit-show and NOT post a TR.
Sorry Jen. You will hear about this in stories passed around a campfire in a few years as a cautionary tale. Should have been a pm for sure.

Sorry to all for the tease.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #13
Yea Jer, sounds like a crazy trip!
kellip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
While the thread is back up...everyone should watch the video again...I was hoping for over 1000 views!!! And tell all your friends...

Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #15
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Apologies for getting back on topic, but...

Here's another article about water, this one talks about what's in the raw water supplies (prior to treatment) and also discusses how bottled water fares in comparison to regular municipal water.

The kicker WRT bottled water:
40 percent of the bottled stuff is from reprocessed municipal water. And for the other half or so that doesn't come from public water supplies? Well, in general, municipal water supplies are much more tightly regulated and monitored than bottled water products (see table below). And, given the paucity of data on bottled water, it's a safe bet that you're better off with tap water even if it means we should still take steps to ensure its safety.
So, many water bottlers just take a half-penny's worth of tap water, run it through a filter, put it in a 5-cent plastic bottle (made from oil), and voila! they can sell it to you for $2. That's a pretty good racket!

Every time I see someone with a fancy bottle of imported water I remember a story from my Environmental Microbiology professor at CU. The prof had been asked to test a bottle of water that was supposedly "Pure" and "from the headwaters of the Ganges River" that a Boulder guru was selling his followers for about $15/liter. The prof did a culture on the water and found something like 15,000 times the amount of bacteria that's allowed in tap water. But since its bottled, its not regulated though...

In Europe where the tap water can be pretty crappy, there's a good reason to drink bottled water. Here at the headwaters of major rivers, it doesn't get much better than what we've got. And if a little chlorine taste bothers you, just pour a pitcher from the tap and let it sit out overnight or run it through a Brita filter.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #16
wannabe kayaker
Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Bob and I watched this video last week, we already use reusable bottles but the "manufactured demand" was very, very informative. Loveland used to have a public drinking fountain downtown but removed it, I will start requesting public fountains in town now.
I work for the Department of Water in Dayton, OH and we've had active campains to get people to drink tap water again.

The one thing with the public water fountains is that as much as we want people to drink our tap water, we also want someone to pay us for our water too Usually it's parks and rec, or economic development.

If any of you out in the dry states out west can figure out an economically viable way to ship water from Ohio, we'd love to sell you as much as you want. Our aquifer is rising and our population is falling. We need to sell more water.
Boilerblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #17
Land of Lovin, Colorado
We may have to make like the Romans did and start building aqueducts eh?

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote