Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 02-27-2006   #31
Originally Posted by BrianK
another thing in every race he finished he was the top american time. 5th or 6th place in the three races. not medals but respectable. if you took out bode and replaced him with an alternate the US would have another racer finishing at the bottom of the pack that no one would have heard of or talked about. Bode's three top ten finishes matched the rest of the US alpine team combined for the olympics i think
How many races did he finish though? I'm not saying Bode isn't a fast skier (he certainly isn't a great skier if you have ever watched him), but he does come off a bit like an ass. I personally don't care much for Bode, but you can't win the Overall the previous year and not have a bunch of hype laid onto you the next year. Of course there is going to be a lot of hype especially since he is so young.

I do blame the media a bit as well. I would have much rather heard more about Ted Ligity after he won gold than about Bode stradling a gate. I also would have like to see Ralves place higher up, but I think he was ill for part of the week...he is still by far my favorite and I think the best skier on the team. He just doesn't do the technical events. Of course, neither does Bode.

sgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #32
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
For anybody who lives in a ski town, I'm sure you know a bunch of world-class, non-professional skiers who get drunk every night and ski like lunatics every day.

They just don't brag about it on international televison.

Plus, even if they did, who's going to make a big deal out of it?

The two variables here are (1)Bode is Bode and (2) The media is the media.

If he's going to be a professional athelete, representing his country in the international media spotlight, he should respect the fact that he's not just Bode Miller, but, rather, The US Ski Team's Bode Miller. If he wants to be just Bode Miller, he shouldn't do it on the team or take endorsements from multi-gazzilion dollar companies. He should pay his own way to Italy if he wants to go there, he can afford it.

He also needs to be aware that any little thing he says that may be inapropriate will be magnified dramatically by the media.

I really don't care how much he parties, he should just shut the hell up about it. The issue is not the booze that went into Bode's mouth, but the words that came out. I seem to recall having seen a bumper sticker: "Shut up and ski."

Just my 2 cents.

ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #33
Dont hate Bode Miller! He is ranked in less than the top 1% of the world. He is one of the best in the world and could ski circles around you. He is one of the most driven athletes ever to lay skis on the slope, so have some respect
JRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #34
Its because our olympic atheletes are not the best atheletes but the ones with the richest parents, "read spoiled brat". Bode is a spoiled little rich kid and it shows. Also our olympians are all amatuers, maybe if we let some pros in there we could win some medals. Or made it financially feasible for someone who isnt filthy rich to make it.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #35
pnw, Washington
Are you kidding? Bode is rich from endorsements, the NHL players for all teams in the hockey games makes millions per year. No one in the olympics is an amateur anymore, well maybe the curlers.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #36
Yea, remember the first pros the "Dream team". That was B ball. Bode will be back this media attention will feed on it self in four years the story will be bigger and badder the "the come back kidd" he will make more money thenhe could have made if he won the gold this year.
It will be the Oly story every reporter will be fighting for it.
TV will be using it to get the ratings back.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #37
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
WOW~!!! Anybody ever heard of that quote:
"Opinions are just like assholes, everybody's got one." I couldn't help but think of it as I read this post.

Bode is being Bode because Bode is being Bode. The rest of the people in this world are the ones who "assume" whom they think he is and should be. But, in the end Bode is still just being Bode; and, you -the opinionist- will still make up whatever you choose to.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #38
WOW!!! Dont you think its possible that the media sensationalized Bode and his lets get tanked attitude. And as far as Bode and his wealth, thats just not a fact, at least not when he was a kid. He is a great athlete, and has a true gift for skiing and being himself. It seems most athletes conform to what everyone wants to hear, he doesnt. I think its good to be yourself, DONT you? How would you have represented the US, by Kissing up?
waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #39
If it's just Bode being Bode, then why didn't he skip the Olympics. The US does have other skiers who would have loved a chance to compete in Torin. What iratates about Bode is I feel like he thinks he is the only one that matters. He skis like crap, but he is fast. He doesn't listen to any of the coaches, yet he is still a part of the team. Why doesn't he go solo? There was a woman's US skier that went solo for a a few years. I'd like to see Bode try that out.

He says that he is fed up with the obligations as a World Cup skier and what that entales. Well, go ahead and start-up another alpine circuit like he has mentioned doing. Go for it. If you are fed up with all of this, stop racing! I don't care if he is out partying or whatnot...that's what skiers do...but don't act like an ass when it backfires on you. Go be another free skier and see how that works out for you.

Just my opinion...which we have a right to.

sgleason is offline   Reply With Quote