Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 02-27-2006   #21
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i was definetly unhappy with NBC's coverage myself. they bitched about mediocre ratings...well...show some actual events without twenty minutes of commericals between athletes and ill watch next time.

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #22
Okay this is my last interjection. I disagree w/ many of you who believe that these games are Bode's and Bode's only. When you accept the responsibility to represent your country in the olympics you no longer are just competing for yourself- you now owe it to both your team and coutrymen to do your best. That's just the way it is. And to say that some lower-ranked ski-team hopeful would have finished last is just a load. Look at Ligety- who picked that?

Also, this crap that Bode went into the games saying his goal wasn't gold isn't because of a divergent personal assessment of what success is; He made those statements because he knew that he wasn't in top form and he was hedging his bets. Nothing more. And as an addendum, if you are the defending WC champ gold is the goal. Period. You're bullshitting yourself otherwise.

Now, so far as his "wanting the whole Olympic experience," how about actually competing at this one and partying as a celebrity at the next dozen-or-so? Makes sense to me.

I'm not saying that I don't think Bode would be a charging-boater or cool ass MF with whom to hang and ride . But this is competition at the highest level. If you don't want to give 'er, that's fine- though you should get out of the way so someone else can. I was a div-I college athlete and when my philosophy started to change to something similar to Bode's, I quit. Now I chortle, paddle and ride- and am happier for it. I say stop defending his lack of drive. It's just not okay in his position. Selfishness is not to be applauded here.

routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #23
Do any of you who honestly think Bode should have stepped down and given someone else a chance who "REALLY" wanted to win gold have a privite permit trip for the grand canyon coming up in the next few years? If so, I'd really appreciate it if you would step down and give your spot to me because I REALLY want to go, even more than you, I can prove it here in this simple mathematic equation:

Current Permit holder + Grand Canyon = fun
Me + your permit + Grand Canyon = LOTS of fun.

See? it's all in the math
Come on don't be immature, take the high road.
It should be easier for you to give it up too because you didn't actually earn it, unlike Bode, you just played the waiting game.
What is that you say?.... NO?
Why, you are just being selfish.
leadpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #24
Looks like a lot on monday morning quaterbacking to me.

If Miller had won one or two medals, he'd be a god on this forum for winning AND partying. Period. Instead, he catches a tip in the combined and DQs. He misses a medal in the DH by what, .2 seconds?, on a day the gold medalist laid down an absolutely perfect run. Then everybody jumps on his case for partying.

As for the "not caring" about winning, you're all acting like he's just making excuses. You should go read Bode interviews going back a year or five or more. He's has always said that winning isn't the point. Skiing the best you can is the point. Even when you ski your best, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. But I guess that's just loser talk, eh?

So the Olympics roll around and all the commentators and couch potatoes suddenly become experts in World Cup skiing. Suddenly Bode is going to rescue the US ski team. Bode takes chances, but Bode is going to win gold. Bode this and Bode that. It's all U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A. The whole Olympic experience is turned into a nation-by-nation medal count. So much for individuality.

Here's a guy that hasn't changed his attitude in 10 years. When he wins everybody, including all of the critics on this forum, love him. When he doesn't medal, he's suddenly a loser prick. Maybe you should stop investing so much of your own ego in somebody else's performance.
alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #25
It does not appear that way. Drinking, playing buckets. Is that how olympic athletes step into top performance? Maybe thats the standard lifestyle, if so I will shut up. But I tend to doubt that is the standard behavior. So, I still opine that he shouldve moved over instead of playing .

Leadpipes your lack of rationale in your last post is a result of female hysteria, you sound like my wife. In which case I will swallow the bait like the damn fool that I am. Olympians are Olympians because their coaches, sponsors, family and fans put them there (lets just call them allies for the sake of brevity). Well of course there is the natural talent and lots of hard work the athletes must provide on their own but they still need all that support from every one else. You dont get to the Olympics all by your self. Therefore the athlete has certain obligations to their allies. By the very nature of this relationship with allies the athlete owes these people his very best possible performance in times of competition. Keep in mind, this does not preclude the possibility of failure or shortcomiing he still owes averything available to him at that time which includes staying off the sauce and not playing cheesy basketball games.
grungeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #26
Excellent post alanbol you can always tell the real men around here they love to kick some one in the stomach when there down. It’s always the “would be” athletes who are frustrated in there own inabilities. One can only imagine the tiny world they live in when they think anyone in else in the world believes an Olympic athlete represents the USA in anything other then the few minutes of there event.
Do you really think some guy in Japan believes all Americans are doing Playboy centerfold Tina Jordan?
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #27
grungeboater, I have to apologize, I was unaware olympians needed a support group, I was under the impression they trained in a vaccum completely cut off from all other life forms and measured their progress by counting one mississippi two mississippi three mississippi as they bombed down the course they set by themselves right after gooming it with a cement filled culvert on an axel tied to a waist harness. That makes for a long day!

I was also unaware hypothetic anecdotes required rationale.
this has all been very enlightening.
relax buddy, hystaria usually requires wild flailing of the arms, Now how could I type while doing that?
leadpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #28
What's the big deal here?

Don't most of us boaters sacrifice or screw up serious opportunities in exchange for some cheap, fly-by-night fun? How many of us treat our future opportunities with greater priority than fun?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #29
Routter, curling doesn't count as a Div I sport. Plus I bet you chortled back then as well. You just weren't the seasoned pro you are now. I agree with some of your comments, but... the real LOSER of the olympics was Bob Costas. What a cheese dick story hunting loser. Bode obviously wasn't in the shape he should have been, but there's no doubt that dude trains hard. He just trains a bit too hard at night as well. I can't believe how many people have bought into the anti Bode and Davis Hedrick speed skating pissing match. Love him or hate him. Let Bode be Bode.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #30
Upset about bode not representing the US properly? I can think of easier (and more relevant) targets for that charge.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to be number one... that's a part of why I like kayaking. It's fun.

johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote