Old 03-04-2008   #1
Indian Hills, Colorado

Wife and I are looking at a little Belize adventure. Focus around fishing, snorkeling, beach walks, off the beaten-path gems. Any thoughts or must do's? PM's of special spots would be greatly appreciated!

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Belize is loads of fun. Sent you a PM.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Caye Caulker is a good laid back location for snorkeling, sea kayaking,deep sea fishing,avoid San Pedro/Ambergris Caye closest thing to a tourist trap in Belize.The beaches are generally poor mostly mangrove,the best ones are around Placencia,Maya Beach,Siene Bight[sand bite sand fleas] and Hopkins.Hopkins is the most laid back,a Garifuna village.For jungle adventure go to CAYO/San Ignacio,Cockscomb basin, or way south near San Antonio Village.
Cayo = Ruins ,Xunantunich is right on the Mopan riverII-III always has water but better high,you can rent duckie ,tubes.or canoes.The ferry man by the ruins will watch your boat for a small tip while you visit the ruins,the best playspot is around the bend an downriver about 1/4 or 1/2 mile,put in at Benque or Succotz take out at Clarrissa Falls.Caracol is the biggest archeological site in BZ,but not well developed and expensive to get to.Go to Tikal in Guatemala if you can,f'ing awesome,daytrips from San Ignacio.
Cayo = caves Actun Tunuchil Muknal highly recommended go with Emilio from Pacz hotel,;Barton Creek cave you canoe thru better value than the Caves Branch where you can raft ,tube ,yak thru 5 of 8 miles underground.
Never been to Che Chem Han but it is supposed to be awesome full of Mayan pottery and you can hike to Vaca Falls on the Macal Gorge.

Cayo =rivers and waterfalls,you can take tours into the Mountain Pine Ridge but is batter to stay at one of the pricey jungle lodges right on a river;5 SISTERS LODGE is on Privassion Creek with sweet rapids right at the lodge[usually too low] you can hike up to a big slide and to Big Rock falls apx. 100 ft with swimming hole.Downstream is awesome but commiting 10 miles w/3-4 [5-] and too big sets of falls to portage[ see my pics in gallery of the 4 mothers] and a run out bottom half of the Macal Gorge 3 - 5+.

Blancaneax lodge; on Privassion expensive owned by Francis Ford Coppola class 5 drop on grounds ,Big Rock falls down stream.

Black Rock lodge at take out for Macal Gorge 2 class 3's on grounds you can hike up to Vaca fall 1 1/2 miles swim /paddle the lagoon to river right and hike up to a series of 3 - 4 drops[4 5 high][ index has a video he calls them the wall complex and horseshoe]

Mountain Equestrian Tours is in the Pine ridge recommended.Hidden Valley Inn is pricey but accesses awesome backcountry.

a good deal is Mopan river resort all inclusive tours to Tikal free use of good duckies and tours,i think even booze is included right on the Mopan in Benque Viejo.

Cockscomb has the best system of trails a 2/3 river[harder if you carry way in] and was the 1st jaguar preserve,closer to the beach than cayo.

San Antonio is a village of very friendly Maya way south,Santa Cruz falls squeaky clean 12/15 ftr. into a pool great swimming,cliff diving or if you have a boat you can paddle in the undercut and blast thru the curtain at low water ,real high = death,The UPR. Moho river is maybe the best class 3/3+ on earth up to 60 ledge drops from 5 -20 ft. very plop n drop,high water guantlet of deadly holes,usually run very low by neophytes,a medium level with semi sticky holes but not deadly would be a boofers paradise,might still have water.

also in MTN. Pine Ridge check out Rio ON pools,will make any kayaker drool but usually too low,unfortunately.

You can sea kayak to and camp on a bunch of 'Gilligan's islands'

the Parrots nest on the Mopan in Bullet Tree is supposed to be good, and near El Pilar ruins.

have fun ,pm me with any questions.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #4
Denver, Colorado
really good fishing in Toledo district,near Punta Gorda on the Temash and Sarstoon and other rivers.Tarpon and snook i believe.
Old 03-13-2008   #5
Indian Hills, Colorado
Awesome! Thanks for the beta!
Old 03-13-2008   #6
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Caye Caulker is a must see. The island is only a couple miles long and half of it is a beautiful nature preserve. I would absolutely base your snorkeling trips there. Go find Jacob at Seahawk tours and tell him you want to "pump it up!" (seriously, say that.) He'll provide all the rum, ganja, and snorkeling with sharks and rays that you can handle. Plus he has a really chill sailboat, so no motor (or pollution) in the reef.

You can stay at Rasta Tina's hostel. It's super cheap and super chill. If you ask about it, she'll generally rent you an apartment on the second floor for $20-25 a night. It's worth it! Tina's has a kitchen you can use and it's right on the water (with hammocks in the sand).

One bit of advice on Caulker: everyone will try to sell you weed. It's alright weed, and most of these people are legit, but the cops will lock your ass up if you get caught burning. Boats from Belize city are about $45, but flights can be arranged cheaply from most anywhere in Belize. We paid under $150 each to Corozal on the Mexican border, which is great if you're traveling through Cancun.

I hope this helps. Have fun!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #7
Denver, Colorado
the water taxi from the marine terminal in Belize City is way less than $45 but only runs twice a day maybe $10,if you have to get to Caulker that day you might have to pay more for a private boat.It's worth catching the taxi so you can poke around the city a little*,not all that interesting and semi-dangerous at night.If you are trying to get to the cayes the first day ask at the tourist info kiosk at the airport ,what time is the water taxi to wherever.If you don't have reservations somewhere that picks you up,you take a cab all the way for$$$$ ,or take a cab to the bus station and get your first chicken bus ride for cheap ,instant cultural immersion,take the express if possible the others stop for anyone along the highway.

Don't smoke on the pier or at The Split,cops watch them.Have a nice rum drink at the Split.Have rasta man Robin make you a fresh caught fish fry,barricuda in coconut milk!

*there are lockers inside the mall by the terminal to leave your luggage so you can roam a bit,look at colonial architecture take in some culture.Good bar/grill in the Fort George.
Old 03-13-2008   #8
Denver, Colorado
Dan,I a jonesing for some Marie Sharps habanero sauce,will trade Belize related literature/guide books if you can bring me some i'll pay for it ,bring you the lit. I think wev'e met,wern't you at Union when all the garbage trucks blew up,Iknow your friend Jay H.
Old 03-14-2008   #9
Indian Hills, Colorado
All, I much appreciate the advice. Unfortunately, the Belize trip was canceled last night due to overall trip cost...long story. The good news is that instead we're headed to Death Valley to do a self-lead geologic tour.

Cayo...we've met at the Waterton lot and other local runs a handful of times. I wasn't at Union when shit blew up, but heard about it from Jay. If S. Platte goes flood stage during runoff like last year, you outta join us at the tressle. See you on the river again this year, fo sho! Same silver truck, new red Project.