Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 08-04-2006   #21
Send a message via MSN to Rushis Right
Repa it is spelled patchouli.

Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be there..... GD
Rushis Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #22
This thread is turning into an Internat Cliche. Tangents, weird turns, rants, Blaming Bush for the problem, Chuck Norris, personel attacks, But something is missing oh I know we need more Cow bell thats it . sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #23

this guy was there
gregmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #24
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The Bush administration is auctioning off the mineral rights to the largest undisturbed aspen forest in the world for gas develpement. It's located in the Uncompaghre National Forest in CO. That'll mean literally hundreds of miles of roads and a 5-cre well pad for every 20 acres of land -- this is what Colorado law allows.
Don't forget- when the Federal government opens public lands for drilling and/or clear-cutting, the mining and timber companies don't pay for the roads they use to get those natural resources at firesale prices- the taxpayers pay for construction & maintenance. And what happens when those resources are exhausted and the land needs reclaimation? That would be us again. Gotta love corporate welfare subsidies.
(BTW- I think that this is relevant to The Buzz- mining industry pollution directly affects more than 12,000 miles of rivers.)

As ticked off as most of us are about Hippy impact, let's not take our eye off the ball. It's hard for me to understand how fiscal conservatives don't as worked up about this kind of economic burden as they do about school lunches and the National Endowment for the Arts. To be fair in the criticism- Democrats have been bought out as well. Here's an interesting essay on the subject: http://www.omsys.com/jeremy/corpwelf.htm

Repa- you back from Grand Trip #2? You know you are a bastard. [/url]
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #25
Gnarnia, Colorado
For me it has little to do with the actual Rainbows and who they are and what they believe but more to do with the fact that a group camped illegally (no permit) on national forest land and left a huge amount of impact that will no doubt take years to recover. As someone who works in natural resource management/protection professionally, I know firsthand that this impact is significant and will be a problem for years to come (not to mention the eyesore).

I don't care if was a group of Republicans, Sierra Clubers or Girl Scouts – the fact that they’re hippies is fairly inconsequential. What matters is that the group in question (the Rainbows) espouses living lightly on the land but don't put it into action and end up leaving a HUGE trace. And, it was done illegally. That is hypocritical BS.

I have a colleague who works for the Green Mountain Club in Vermont (in conjunction with the US Forest Service) and he had this to say about the Rainbows: "I remember when they came to VT. The nearby streams showed elevated levels of E-Coli for years afterwards and the garbage and compacted soil was astonishing."

In my mind, this has little to do with Bush, selling off of federal lands, mining, gas development, etc. While all very important issues, they're not the subjects of this post.

The subject is that one group congregated illegally on national forest land numbering in the 10's of thousands and hammered the place. Period.

LEAVE NO TRACE! Or at least try your best…
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #26
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Re: yeah but...

Originally Posted by leadpipes
Comparing white water parks to hippy gatherings is like comparing an exploding greasy bowel movement to lobster tails and caviar at a 5 star restaurant.
Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to submit this for the Metaphor of Year Award Well done, I knew I'd love this thread.
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #27
That meadow is screwed forever.

I vote we make it into parking lot for rednecks with dirtbikes and quads and have at it!!!
"Forever indebt to your priceless advice" -KC
DirtyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #28
Maybe a Toby Keith Concert. Turn the creek into a mud bog.
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #29
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
you guys are all worried about these hippies destroying the environment. in the big scheme of things what they have done in the forest is merely a flesh wound. do you realize that there have been natural catastrophes like large meteorites that have destroyed almost everything on the earth several times. after these meteorites hit, life went on here on earth. some animals evolved to cope and others did not. all of the species alive on earth right now represent less than one percent of all of the species that have lived here throughout time. this means that over 99 percent of the species that have ever inhabited the earth are now extinct. this does not bode well for our species. the odds are that we will all be extinct someday too. but life will evolve that can inhabit the earth no matter how bad we mess it up. people talk about nature like we are on the outside looking in. we are all part of nature and what we do here surely affects the environment. in the big scheme of things, what we do really is not affecting things that bad. all that we do really is natural. so drive your hummer to the put in, build your whitewater park, and clean out those logs that small mammals use to cross the creek, and trample some meadow in the forest in the name of environmentalism. bigger things have happened in the past and will again in the future.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #30
salida, Colorado
blah blah blah

psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote