Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 03-24-2015   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Back home where I belong - Longmonth Mt. Biking Options?

We are in the process of moving back to Colorado after four years in Carlsbad California. It's been a good run but I am coming back to where I belong.The job situation has us landing in Longmont. I'm trying to get information on the mountain biking options in that part of the Front Range. I am a single speeder originally from Durango and Summit and have only ridden Chimney Gulch, and Apex. I like to climb. And climb.

robatnordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
You are going to have a blast!!!

There are so many trails along the front range it is silly.

Start right in Lyons at Redstone Cycle, ask for Dave and get in on the after work rides. So many trails right there, and the best for me anyway is Hall Ranch.

So many options on how to ride it, combine it with any other ride in town. etc..

Just talking about lgmnt, lyons, boulder Your options are huge. a few hundred trails and Some of these nut bags will MTB from the door 100 miles in a day!!! up to 5 trail systems and a handfull of road miles, with beers of course.

Seriously though, you are gonna dig it. Climbs for miles, loops for days, wicked fun rock gardens, single track. shit......

I like the guys at redstone, and there are a ton of indy frame builders here to ride with and get ideas from as well.

get stoked!!

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015   #3
x, x
Paddling Since: x
this is a good video of Hall ranch.

the technical climbs start about 3:45, they focused on the gnar and the down mostly in the video, but that trail has it all.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
BB- YES!!!
Thanks for sharing!
I was hoping you'd say that!!! I am one of those "nut jobs" and have been working the trails of north San Diego county for the past couple of years. The is the kind of location I was hoping for. We just found a place in southwest Longmont so it is on the way to Lyons. I can't wait to get there...
robatnordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I live in SW Longmont and mt. bike a fair bit. There are a few trails pretty close: Heil, Hall, Picture rock, are the closest. There is some good stuff up around Loveland and Fort Collins.

It depends on your riding style, but Hall is pretty good, Picture rock is fun. I think Heil is terrible. You should definitely drive up out of Boulder to check out Walker ranch, it is pretty good.

Like Bob said, stop in at Redstone cyclery. They do a night ride every Tuesday night. If you are a seasoned Mt. biker you will be able to keep up, otherwise you will be hurting.

IMO Boulder county is pretty poor for mt. biking compared to what it could be. There is major resistance to trail building. Trails around here are rocky as phuck, with a couple of exceptions. Some people dig loose sharp rocks all over the trails, its not really my thing.

I am spoiled, because I have lived in places with epic mt. biking, so I don't consider Boulder CO that great, otherwise I would share Bob's enthusiasm. I have never ridden in Durango, but I would think that Boulder CO does not compare favorably.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Agree with everything said above - Dave at Redstone is a super nice guy & should be your go-to shop. Hall is great because it's got a lot of southern exposure and has a long riding season - I've ridden it just about every month of the year. But having lived in Lafayette, I'd have to agree that Boulder county could have a lot more options for biking than it does. Walker is pretty great, but a lot of the bikeable trails are pretty mellow. I used to live in Durango as well; and Boulder is just limited in comparison.

However, the Front Range in general has a lot to offer if you're willing to drive a bit. In addition to the stuff in Northern CO, Jeffco has a ton of trails. Buffalo Creek is about 1:45 from Longmont and has a ton of climbing, and a long season. Check out Centennial Cone, Deer Creek, and Waterton Canyon. I moved to Golden a couple of years ago and I'd call it a big upgrade in options. But it's not too far away - takes me about 50 minutes to drive to my folks' house in Longmont.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #7
Denver, Colorado
I'm not a SS'er, got to have gears or I'm walking. I prefer down over climbs so take my advice with a shaker of salt.
Hall is one of my local favorites too. White Ranch is my new go to (Golden). It has some brutal climbing that I despise so you'd likely love it. My reason for repeating White Ranch so often is the down. Maverick to Longhorn to Whipple Tree has about 150 water bars to launch/hop on the way down. I put up with the climb up Belcher for that.

Buffalo Creek was a good recommendation too. Lots of camping around to make a weekend out of it but doable as a day trip.

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #8
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Another single speeder. You will fit right in with the Oscar Blues crowd and be riding a REEB soon. I also live in Longmont but only ride my single speeder to the bars. I'm slow so I need gears on the trails. Don't forget to check out the west magnolia trail system too. close enough to get a ride in after work and hit up BBQ and beer in NED.

skico is offline   Reply With Quote