Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-09-2010   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Are you a rafter/yaker, A skier/boarder

Thought this might be an interesting look at different "rivalries".

So are you a Kayaker or Rafter in the water season, and are you a Skier or Snowboarder when the snow flies?

I'll start off, I'm a rubber pusher who will occasionally cram my ass into a yak. And I'm a two planker who will occasionally drag knuckles.

So what 'bout you?

Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #2
Golden, Colorado
I'm a longtime kayaker who has a raft now and am rafting with the family and still creeking a bit with my kayak buddies. I like them both. Headed to the Grand Canyon next summer and I'm going to oar my raft. The thought of sitting in a kayak for 19 days... I'd rather get kicked in the balls by a UFC champion.

I've skied all my life but once bought a snowboard for one season to see what was up with that. Thought it was boring, went back to skiing.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #3
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
I've skied all my life but once bought a snowboard for one season to see what was up with that. Thought it was boring, went back to skiing.
Same experience here.

I'm a hard shell kayaker with family members who are rafters.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #4
Golden, Colorado
Long time kayaker but recently bought a raft this year for the family and really enjoying it. Looking forward to getting on some of the classic multi-day trips in the coming years.

Long time alpine skiier. Use to snowboard for the powder when skiis were long and skinny. Now that skiis are fat and rockered, snowboarding has nothing to offer other than an occasional change of pace on days between dumps. I tele now since it's easier (more fluid and less pounding) on the body than alpining and to add some challenge since Colorado terrain is pretty tame.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #5
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Spent my youth in a raft, started rowing solo at 14....started kayaking at 20 which dominated for about 10 years...now I spend equal time....probably will be spending more time pushin' rubber in the coming years with a little dude on the way. Ski's at 3 yrs old....spent two years on a board in college....nothing but ski's now (why regress???).
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #6
Kayak and raft, alpine and tele. Tried snowboarding for a few days and you couldn't pay me to do that again!
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I believe in staying penitent.

OC-1 and telemark I will push rubber if given the opportunity (I don't own a raft so I rely on the kindness of friends) since I'm currently better with that than my outrage, though I'm getting better every trip.
Tele-axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I kayak, board and tele these days. Alpined for decades before I did any of those. Wouldn't mind getting a raft now that I'm getting old and my body's falling apart...

It's all about the right tool for the right conditions. Me, I'll take the board for deep powder and steeps. Teles are more fun in bumps, hardpack and easier stuff. In between, either's good, but that's just me.

And as much as I love kayaking, a raft's gotta be a whole lot more comfortable and accommodating on a long desert float, and it just might make Northgate Canyon exciting again!
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Roy, you neglected to mention the 10 minutes with my oars on the Salt.

The kayak rules for ease of use and general maneuvering. The raft excels at carrying gear and adding comfort to longer trips. Rafting, for me, also makes easier stuff more challenging, for instance kayaking the middle fork or Selway at high water is more or less cake. Put me on the sticks with a heavy boat and 15k cfs and it is all of a sudden pretty challenging again.

The same would probably be true if i tried snowboarding more than once. Alpine and AT are my winter means of travel. And maybe Slee's Sled, if I can't sell it for what I have in it (not very likely!)

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #10
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Raft. Alpine. Started out canoeing in Michigan in my yout'. Skiing too, at the age of four. When my boys were of age to board I tried it. It's fun but I am more proficient at skiing. Paddle crew on day trips with friends and outfit for over-nighters, the raft gives me options...and comfort.

Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote