Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 05-08-2006   #21
Please have pity on me for having to live in Denver to make

Remember if you only "wish you had it so well" also means the sacrifice is made to have to live in the city. You can live there and "have it so good" if that is what living on the FR really means

GIT R DUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #22
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
dominant struggles (im not just trying to sound smart)

It seems pernicious for kayakers, lovers of nature, to choose life in communities supported primarily by the consumption of nature. Its also not directly logical for the same people to choose life in an environment almost completely devoid of nature, although it is like camping in a sacrifice area as opposed to pristine wilderness.

Conversely, people who choose to live in cities because they are primarily domestic, consumptive types will find much more to consume on the frontier.

Please don't tell these people where the good life is, I choose to believe they will find it when they are ready (to share a tiny uninsulated shack with the other 10 ski/paddle/bike/climbing bums). Our low low low crime rate/local drug problem is already too much evidence of hell on earth encroching into what becomes less of a mountain paradise every day. I try to make my points to all the important people (planning commissioners, developers, even former cowboys that drive heavy equipment for a living, policeman, judges, etc...). People do listen to one another, sometimes.

Not all growth is bad growth, but some developments are cheap and shoddy from beneath the foundation. Some homeowners are shallow and snobby too. They rarely live in the shoddy homes. I would live in a van if the police would let me, the only reason they dont is because Ive been a bad boy. Instead I live with my Dad. BFD, Im walking distance from the playpark.

And my English professor whom I have not been introduced to yet ought to know Im not so starved for activity that I want to organize my thoughts as well as they could be. I dont want to proofread either.

I am not a fascist. Non interference is the prime directive. I am a nerd.

&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #23
This keeps getting better and better. People who live with Dad and people who choose to live with in 3 miles of I-70. Whinning about other peoples choices. To justify there own. I am really going no were with this post but. All of these 303vs970 big city vs rural life arguments in Colorado usally all boil down to. Old timers vs new commers. Wittnes the fact that rdnk and I are in agreance on this thread. A first I beleive. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #24
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
And I read this whole thread waiting to here about somewhere cool to live....dam.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #25
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
&d...you watch too much star trek, Dr. Spock. Does using words like "pernicious" and "logical" get you laid? Maybe at a convention.

And the wording you were looking for is: "My English Prof, to whom I have not yet been introduce, yadda yadda yadda."

Just thought I'd help you out before that next term paper's due.

Personally, I pretty much wish the population of the world would have stagnated in the nineteenth century. I hate cities, traffic, lines, etc. But I wasn't born in this state and presently reside in a worse suburban hellscape than I ever could have imagined growing up in farmland/Appalacha. Luckily, though, my line of work allows me to live almost anywhere with a reasonable population. This, however, puts me in the dubious position of biding my time until I can move rural AND wanting to tell the city dwellers to stay put. I fear that by the time I return from securing your oil there will be no mountain rural left where I don't have to deal with snot-nosed richy rich and his fur wearing wife. In my defense, I will be buying (or hopefully building) a first and last home wherever I land.

At last, the image I earlier conjured of a fur-clad debutant calls for a joke at the expense of her "neuvo western" clad sugar daddy. I mean no offense to real ranch hands who wear the headgear for the original purpose of providing shade and shelter from rain....

What's the difference between a tampon and a cowboy hat?

Cowboy hats are for assholes.

And, yes, using words like "stagnated" and "dubious" *does* get me laid.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #26
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I'd like to post a reply to the original question. However, based on the recent issues surrounding alleged "hidden agenda advertising" I must disclose that I work for South Main Development in BV.

You really should look at BV and specifically the South Main project. South Main is on the river and all dwellings within the project will be a maximum of 5-6 blocks from the play holes. Currently there are two play holes and the Town has funding and is installing 4 more (2 in the fall). That will make 6 play spots within walking distance from downtown.

As well, within 30 minutes there is Browns, Numbers, Clear Creek, Lake Creek, Pine Creek rapid, and the all mighty fractions.

The mountain biking trails start right at the edge of town, there is decent climbing at the edge of town and great climbing 35 minutes away just past twin lakes (independence pass), Monarch skiing is 40 minutes and never crowded, cottonwood pass is minutes away and has good skiing/sledding, and there is a slew of 14'rs to tool around in.

South Main is having a grand opening event in conjunction with the CKS paddelfest party on the weekend of May 19th. South Main will be featuring lot-building plan combo packages, row houses and apartment units.

An interesting item to note is that many of the lots in South Main allow for the construction of an accessory dwelling unit (ADU). ADU's are nice because they can be rented out. ADU's provide the cheap rentals that some of the prior posts have raised concerns over.

In my opinion it is worth the trip down to check it out. If nothing else you'll get to boat and be able to add one more location into your evaluation of mountain locations.

Good Luck,

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #27
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
the answer

If I were you Id go to the Steamboat drainage and look around.
(sorry I spaced the helpfulness)

bsoe, So you're the english professor! I knew there was one around here somewhere. You caught me off guard with that getting laid stuff, since I don't normally fixate on getting laid while I type. .. Please don't die over oil since were all so ungrateful and out of touch with the fact that people are dying anyway.. Id be a cynical motherfucker to go die for this country right now.

We really ought to build actually secure borders before we start running roaming wiretaps. Is that logical? ahem, Does that make sense? Could the leaders of our domestic intelligence orgazinations actually so dumb? Or is it that they are acknowledging something in their behavior they would never acknowledge in language? eg, "We fear our own population more than we fear the world's." At least Canada keeps all the drunk drivers out of their country, so we don't have to worry about drunk driving Arabs getting in from Canada.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #28
Durango, Colorado
Nobody's really whining about tourism. Tourism can survive quite well without everyone owning a second home. Hotels, campgrounds, RV parks all profit from tourism and rely on people that travel. Once again, I confirm everyone's right to own as much as they possibly can. I just think that perhaps as Americans we have a tendency to always take more than we actually need. I still don't believe that owning a second/third home is what boosts a tourist town's economy. People travel to tourist towns because of the setting and I don't believe that people would stop visiting these towns if they didn't own a home there. Obviously there are a lot of people out there w/ lot's of cash, but you should at least acknowledge the fact that second home ownership is driving the real estate market out of the reach of the individuals who keep the town running.
dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #29
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Why so protective of our backyards. I would rather have another boater in my town living in a decent sized house than another mega House filled golf course cum wasted use of water and land along the river. I urge more boaters, climbers, slednecks, snowriders to leave the city. Screw the good paycheck and make a living in the hills. Is not thye Paycheck just a means to an ends. If that end is a better life outside of the city then F&*k the money and get a life...

It's a little harder to make the mortgage payment, and I hate to say that at this point in my life I am a 9-5 guy with a commute. I ditch work with stupid excuses when the snow flies or the water is up.

Quality of living is much better than quantity of living...

I think wher I live kicks A$$
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #30
Durango, Colorado
Check out BullScit's post. His dad's place is for sale on Lake Creek. That should work.

dugan is offline   Reply With Quote