Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 05-07-2006   #11
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I haven't driven it recently, but isn't the Ark only an hour and a half from the FR via 285? I guess it depends on where on the FR you are too. I think BV/Salida would be an excellent choice and they aren't as pricey as Summit and Vail (yet). Some of the best boating in the state, obviously (and I'm not trying to start anything here, just my opinion). Tons of biking, hiking, BC, etc. Close to Monarch for skiing, and half way to T-Ride from the FR. Good Luck.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #12

I am trying to find pity for those who feel so powerless in their lives that they can't acknowledge that they make their own decisions.

We can all live wherever we really want. It may recquire and adjustment of priorities. It sounds like making money to buy stuf is probably basil's priority.

HM-Carbondale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #13
Everyone makes choices depending on priorities, if someone is going to be an asset to a community i say welcome even if it is a second home. I like what dasunluva had to say "To me it's a form of jealousy. These people that buy homes there and visit usually don't just have money given to them to do this, they've made some sort of sacrifice at some point. You have the choice to move to smaller towns. The same blue collar jobs exist there as well. I live in Denver now and am always suprised when people declare turf and animosity in the mountain towns when most likely they're not originally from there and end up there because they were visiting, which doesn't matter anyway."
575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #14
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
my rude way of looking at it is, yeah we all make choices.
You chose to live in a shithole city with 4 million other people, stay there.
I chose to live where I love & I'll stay here.

just my $.02

go buy a place in dillon or vail, they'll be happy to see you there
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #15
Look at a cabin in Blue River or Alma. It's 1hour 45 min up 285 to BR. cool vibe nice folks in BR. I can be at the numbers or gore in about an Hour. Skiing biking right out the Door not to far from the Resort and a 16$ cab ride to go bar hopping when I feel like it. It seems to be just a little to far from I-70 for most folks which is cool.

Dasunluva well said. i love Yampa spend every 4th there. 2 of my oldest dearest freinds have eked out a living there for the last 20 years. Not easy but worth it to them. Ya gotta wonder why people move to an area who's main industry is tourism then whine about tourist. Guess it's the first generation westerners sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #16
I love the buzz for giving me perspectives I don't normally come across. Some of you guys are making assumptions about me. A lot in society bothers me too.

And I knew when I made the post I'd have to be a bit thick skinned about some of the responses I'd get. It's the internet.

Thanks for a lot of the ideas.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #17
Metro Area, Colorado
It seems to me that people need to just chill out. I am a native to Colorado, and in my life I have seen this state pratically triple in population. With the growth comes both negative and positive aspects to town/city. Sure I don't like sitting in traffic, I don't like seeing the brown cloud get worse every year, but F it! A lot of great things have come with the crowds. There is a lot more commerce than ever before. There are more jobs (both blue and white collar), and with that commerce comes better things for the state. We wouldn't have the Avalance or Rockies if it wasn't for the population growth.
And to the guys that are whining about people buying second homes and destroying their towns, I say "so what". As stated above, you too probably aren't a native to BV, so who gives you the right to decide who can live in the same place you moved to? Also, when a higher home demand happens in your town, than it makes YOUR property value go up too. If you can't afford the land than it is time for you to move along to another Colorado Mtn. town that you can afford. I know there are a lot of small towns in WY and MT that don't have the crowds or the property values. But to get angry when the property value of your town is going up, well tough, that's life. We all make decisions as to how we want live our own, and it is pretty immature to get angry when others choose to live theirs differently. BV isn't your town, its the people of Colorado's town. You don't own anything other than land your house sits on, and oh I fogot, that's appreciating in value.
I choose to live my life in Denver. I don't make much money at all, and could never afford a second home (I can't even afford a first home), but it annoys me when I hear jackass' remarks complaining about people moving to this state. Get used to it, it isn't going to stop! Do what smart people do, adapt to your new surroundings and take advantage of what they offer you.
just my $.02
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #18
BV, Colorado
Don't move to BV!!!

You should go somwhere else. Really. Trust me.

I was at the grocery store(which is cause in and of itself) tonight, and ran into this dude whos wife I was dating briefly this last fall. Wait for it...At that time they were seperated and within a week of me knowing her the papers were served, so it was all legit, which lots of times isint the case around here. Any way, so this dude traped me at the store and acted like we were old college roomates who hadnt talked in years(I've met him once before) he wouldnt let me just go home and eat my over priced self rising pizza.

Oh, and my Pshyco ex-GF. You will get to know her too.

However, hanging out at Cottonwood Hot Springs with my new GF, who is 10x hotter than conservitive pshyco ex, and Running into the EX who is wearing swimsuit and shorts and having new GF meet her for the first time while showing off her hot naked body off to my ex...priceless.
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #19
The next zone, .
This is soooo funny – BV gettin air time as the place to move. Also Esp most people wont have the trouble that a international players man such as yourself encounters – no wonder you have been missin the poker games! – keep it up yo – you are a inspiration to the rest of us homebound rednecks up here!

The second home thing is somethin that we all deal with up here – I don’t care most of the people around here that are buying the second homes only got about a decade left before the kids toss them in a home - so they might as well have a nice place to make that final quilt.

I have seen this (or been told of this before) – My father was born is glenwood – now there is a place that has seen some changes since the early 40’s – His grandfather and father operated a still during the depression - up in woody creek (this was aspen before it was aspen) long before Hunter S moved into the neighborhood, and were among the first workers up at mid-continent (this is a coal mine). All 4 of us now have stories about huntin or fishin spots that now have second homes on them. This is just the way it goes – it did not change in my great grandfathers, grandfathers, or my pop’s life ------ so I don’t expect it to change in ours.

I love BV and the area – I accept the change and understand that there will be good and bad change in this area as new people move in for whatever reason. The best or worst part about these mtn towns is that there is only so much private property available and I have seen in glenwood and aspen once development bumps up against national forest watch out – property values are goin to go nuttier than they have been so if you are goin to get in up here do it soon.

Anyway my 2nd home is gettin built right now - Kinda near Catherin's store a chunk of Martin's old ranch - Not quite back up to Woody Creek and my great granfather's stompin ground - but I guess we all have to settle on somethin!
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #20
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
You chose to live in a shithole city with 4 million other people, stay there.
You can try to shut the door behind you, if it makes you feel better & you think it will help. Realistically, most of the mountain towns in Colorado depend on Front Range folks for their livelihood. Do you think that Empire could support 3 little restaurants without the traffic to WP? Part (if not most) of what makes Empire a nice place for you to live is the influence of Denverites on the economy. If you wanted mountain town isolation, you would have chosen someplace like the San Luis Valley or up north around Walden. The only way you have any room to talk is if you were born and raised in Empire, which I sincerely doubt from your post. Besides- if your neighbor's house is for sale in Empire and you had a choice of a 2nd home purchaser -boater or a non-boater- who would you choose?

If you choose to be a jerk to someone who happens to be in a position to purchase a second home in the mountains, that's your hangup. I don't think it's constructive, much less in the spirit of the Mountainbuzz community, to tell someone they're not wanted in your neighborhood. If you feel so strongly about your NIMBY issues, start an Empire-only forum (and make sure to keep that Lawson scum out, right?). You should realize that the Buzz consists of a majority of Front Rangers that love and respect the mountain towns, as well as provide economic support. I believe it was a Front-Ranger (Dave) who spent the last couple of weeks cleaning out WFCC, as a matter of fact.

Look- we're all boaters, and some of whom may someday decide to move up into the mountains to become your neighbors. The fact that the Colorado mountains have been and will continue to be commercialized & exploited started long before you were born, and you can decide to become a good steward & neighbor, or a nasty isolationist. Your choice, but you should keep your shitty comments to yourself.

PS- I lived in a mountain town; bought property, saved enough to build a house after a couple of years, so I know firsthand how affluence affects those communities- it's just a fact of life in CO.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote