Old 11-11-2008   #11
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i have cable only so the girlfriend can have internet for her school. i don't even use the internet when im not at work.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #12
Golden, Colorado
Quotes from the article:
The illiterate rarely vote, and when they do vote they do so without the ability to make decisions based on textual information. American political campaigns, which have learned to speak in the comforting epistemology of images, eschew real ideas and policy for cheap slogans and reassuring personal narratives. Political propaganda now masquerades as ideology. Political campaigns have become an experience. They do not require cognitive or self-critical skills. They are designed to ignite pseudo-religious feelings of euphoria, empowerment and collective salvation.
Obama used hundreds of millions of dollars in campaign funds to appeal to and manipulate this illiteracy and irrationalism to his advantage, but these forces will prove to be his most deadly nemesis once they collide with the awful reality that awaits us.
Although I couldn't support Obama, now that he's our President, I hope he is able to lead us through this mess. Unfortunately I see two things going against him:

(1) A disappointingly large number of people voted for him for no other reason than he was black, they hated Bush, they wanted change (to what they weren't sure), or they wanted free stuff. I'm hoping that his campaign and the election were filled with such mind-numbing drivel only for the reason that that is what you have to do to get elected nowadays and that he actually has more substantial policy ideas than he was able to express during the campaign. Now that he is elected, I hope that he is able to wean the masses off the platitudes and get them to see dire reality of the situation without losing their support. That will be a tough job.

(2) It's hard to fix something without the right set of tools. Again, maybe he has the right set of tools but didn't want to confuse or frighten the masses during the election so he kept them hidden and stuck with simplistic, childish narratives and clichés. I hope so. However, if his tools only consist of the platitudes issued during the election we're screwed.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #13
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
It's not the political process' fault that campaigns are about image. It's the people's.

The advent of visual mass media was the beginning of the end of meaningful literacy in homo sapiens. "Television is to politics what bumper stickers are to philosophy" (Richard Nixon).

We're doomed because we're people. But maybe I'm watching a bit too much Sarah Connor Chronicles lately?

"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote