Old 02-01-2010   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The referred to "religious" base of AA is probably one of the reasons I hesitated to check out a meeting sooner. However, I have talked with other people, and read that finding the right group is an essential part of making it work for you. Not all meetings are heavily religious.

If you read the twelve steps, where God is referred to, it says "as we understood him". That allows the belief of something different that may mean more to me.

And, there is also allowing yourself the ability to listen to advice of any kind, religious or not, and taking away a message that you can apply in what ever way you want. Not that I'm very good at that.

While the choice to heal has to be your own, I think it's important to allow others to support and help you. The thought that you can do it all yourself, no matter how strong you are, doesn't always work. That's a first hand discovery Still working on it...

Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #22
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by basil View Post
AA is incredibly religious. Much of their approach seems to be based on religion. They say you aren't strong enough to get over alcohol by yourself, you need to rely on god to help you.

So, it's not the general purpose support group that it claims to be.
This is also what kept my friend away for quite a while, and after they started participating found a group that was not heavy on the GOD part. They were completely turned off by some groups that were almost bible-thumping.

On one hand, a higher power (of your understanding) is akin to recognizing that we are not completely in control, things happen in spite of us and our best efforts. On the river I call it Neptune, he'll do what he may to get me off my boat, while I do what I can to stay on. I remember one poignant time heading into Lochsa falls saying just that, I was glad he didn't get me that day!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote