Old 11-15-2006   #1
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
about the cold war..

Was anyone here consciously influenced by it? How so? My coherent memories start about where the USSR conceded, but it was Vietnam+the Cold War that put my parents in the place where they were when I came to be, so it makes me wonder what sort of stories might be out there about it.

&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #2
My biggest memory of that era was. My mother dropping a letter from her brother who was in Nam and running out of the room crying. I could read so it must have been 69 to 71 can't recall. But I do remember her tears on the letter and the words VC shelling our village. And not much else.

In 89 my Uncle was at my house and freaked my wife out . I had to tell him he was'nt welcome anymore. He broke down on my door step crying saying things he did in nam fucked him up and he understood. He drank himself to death at 51. This set my war politics in stone.

As far as the cold war I think I really became aware in JH. When people beating the drum of fear would say "There are nuclear missles pointed at you now". I always thought right now in Russia there are guys just like me saying this is BS lets get along becuse I just refused to beleive in a whole society being evil. I was right to as within 15 years people my age were standing on the wall breaking it down. Thats how i percieved it. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Was anyone here consciously influenced by [the Cold War]?
&d: that's a great question. I think anybody born before the Berlin Wall fell would in some way or another have been consciously influenced by the cold war. I am only 30 and I remember watching the movie Red Dawn and getting scared thinking about the possibility of some evil commie boogy-men invading my school and shooting me. For me: the Cold War was very near its end, but I still remember Reagon and the "Star Wars" defense system.

I now realize that it was all total bullcrap! And here is why.

It was just FEAR propaganda. I mean, of course you can make it all complex and fearfully talk about a Stalin like person taking over the world, or some other Commie tyrant spreading evil, and then we would all live a life of mediocrity... blah, blah, blah. This same type of fear propaganda has now been shifted to the new 21st century boogy-men, Islamic jihadi terror men. The American Public Relations industry and the political power structures uses scare campaigns against the US population to make us feel the need to be "protected" all the while they continue to expand their power and allow the military-industrial-complex to make trillions of dollars. (that's millions with a T)

President Dwight Eisenhower warned us: "... we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." Eisenhower - one of the greatest military generals in the world- had a huge struggle trying to control the MIC while he was President.

The MIC power persists and has taken many gigantic sh#ts on American Democracy. Your "fear blanket" is smothering you if you don't believe this. Or, you just haven't taken the time to ask WHY and seek other perspectives. The old paradigm way of thinking needs to be put to rest!! The Us vs. Them will destroy us all. The new paradigm should be: WE ALL need to work together to save our stupid asses so we can survive as a whole before mother earth decides to rid us from HER WORLD.

There is no secret that people in power have known - for a long time - how to scare its population to get what it wants.

"Beware the leader who bangs the drum of war,
In order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor,
for patriotism is indeed a double edged sword.
It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind.
And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch
And the blood boils with hate
And the mind has closed, the leader will have no need of seizing
the rights of the citizenry.
Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism,
will offer up all of their rights unto the leader, and gladly so.
How do I know?
For this is what I have done.
And I am Caesar."

~~Julius Caesar
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #4
Marko, are you mistaken? It sounds to me above your describing the eco-terroist left wing of the Democrat Party. Using fear and lies in the propaganda campaign of a wholly unproven theory-Gloabl Warming. Wern't these same lefties claiming ice age in the '70's?

The Cold War was real! Not this made up fantasy by the media/political/legag professions. Why? It lines the pocket of universities, lawyers, and gives politiicans the power.
"any man who would trade freedom for security, deserves neither freedom nor security" Thomas Jefferson
teamamericawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Am I mistaken? Or, are you saying I am mistaken. Either way... I sure could be mistaken.

One thing is for sure: Your entire post makes little sense and lacks any bit of intelligence. But, let's briefly break it down anyway:
It sounds to me above your describing the eco-terroist left wing of the Democrat Party. Using fear and lies in the propaganda campaign of a wholly unproven theory-Gloabl Warming.
Man, this NASA Scientist is such an idiot fear-mongorer...

The Cold War was real! Not this made up fantasy by the media/political/legag professions. Why? It lines the pocket of universities, lawyers, and gives politiicans the power.
You are right, the Cold War was real. It was made "real" by the men who sought power. And I still think it was total bullcrap. It was this cold war power struggle that nearly destroyed life as we know it during the Cuban missle crisis. One more reason that this "us" vs. "them" type of thinking needs to be put to rest. Am I mistaken?

Here is a video clip of Eisenhower's speech. Really try to listen and understand his warning.
You should also really look into who lines their pockets the most during war.

And, this will be my last discussion with YOU. WHY? Because you only ever bring myths and uneducated garbage to this forum. Aren't you the same guy who wrote in a previous post?
" if you knew what you were talking about you would realize "palestine" is a made up word and country. Coined in order to emcourage empathy for the do nothing Arabs who can't form in economy and can't rule themselves in that area of the world."
Yes, that was you.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #6
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The greatest product of the cold war? Spies Like Us.

teamamericaWT...for white trash.

Quit making sense, Marko, it makes people nervous. The stupid will dogmatically defend their status quo to the last man. I know you want to influence folks and try to usher along some kind of change in the collective thinking of your little corner of the world, but arguing with dumbasses just brings you down to their level and gives credence to their drivel. Let them wallow in ignorance and focus on providing information to those with open minds.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #7
Over 900 peer reviewed studies say global warming is real ,zero say it'snot ,unless you consider Fox as a legitimate academic institution.Gimme' a break!
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #8
It's so easy to see who gets their info from AM radio these days. Their hate speach and utter lack of respect for real science. 5.9 billion people could prove Global warming true thru proper science and people like teamamericawp won't beleive it till Rush says so. It use to annoy me now I just find it so sad. Of course posts like his are big ol softballs for those that think for them selves and have a sense of humour. And make the buzz fun. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #9
Georgia Moonshine
Cold War? Yeah, we freaking won. So don't expect to see anything on the internet or mainstream media to that effect.
Trout_Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #10
Some of you kids are really out there in never-never land! F***'n scary to hear your goofy conspiracy theories.

Cold War: Very real. We'd still be dealing with the Soviet Union if not for strong leaders -- Truman, Kennedy, Reagan, etc. If you seriously think it was about "boogey-men" and manipulation by politicians, etc., I'll have a friend who grew up in Eastern Europe give you a call. He was forced to live under Communism after the Soviets invaded and took over the country. The threat of Communism was real as a f***'n heart attack and the Soviets would have taken over a lot more if they weren't resisted . Good thing we stood strong on that one.

Global Warming: Very real. Unless your "science" is completely driven by politics, you have to agree the earth has warmed significantly over the last 80 years or so. Those are the scientific facts.

ransark is offline   Reply With Quote