Old 01-21-2009   #31
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Send a message via AIM to New Jersey Surfer
Originally Posted by yarmonymatoid View Post
Steve, I'd be curious to see if you have ever actually listened to an entire Rush L show. If you had, you would realize that he rarely if ever attacks the person, he attacks issues and policy(with the possible exception of Nazi Pelosi). The example I posted is evidence to this fact. He disagrees with the policy.
I do listen to Rush, Hannity, and sometimes Laura Ingrham... For you to say that Limbaugh rarely if ever makes personal attacks is completely off base.

He is simply a terrible person.

New Jersey Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #32
timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
TMTTR, I would agree with you that host's on both sides only take calls from supporters. It is one of the reasons I try to read both the Huffington Post(no matter how painful it may be) and the Weekly Standard. What I have a problem with, is not listening to anything that may be contrary to your current belief. It leads to sheepism on either side. Both conservative and liberal media have moments that are hard for me to take seriously. However the thing I like to do is listen and then go check the facts.

Steve, I respect you even though we don't agree on a lot of topics. You are steady at the wheel and you speak in plain English.

yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #33
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
demo why do you bring my name up in a speach about republicans and Rush L. have i ever brought up rush as being a great spokesman? and whats your deal with opiates? no leave my name out of it unless you want some debating about your serious mental problems. don't think your parents are getting screwed because of bush obama is the one going to tax their 401k's after they have already have paid taxes all their lives who's fuckign who? you can't blame the market situation on one party alone unless say 100 percent of the house is republicans. the dems helped the current situation with affordable housing. quite bringing me up in your anti republican rants because i am in fact a citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF America not a citizen of the Rebulic of America or the Democaracy of American.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #34
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I don't know many of the news people you all talk about because I read the news rather than watch it most of the time, except for NPR on the way to work and the Daily Show for a little comic relief. This is because when I do tune in to ANY major news program on the TV, I get this surreal feeling that I'm being hypnotized by Barbie and Ken dolls with dark sunglasses and a flashbulb clicker thingy.
Damned good mental image!

Jim Lehrer on PBS is a boring old guy like me. Guess that's why I like him. He reminds me of news anchors of pre-24/7 cable news hype. And the other reporters on the NewsHour give it to you straight, and examine issues in depth. They take a full hour to present the news of the day, and it isn't soundbite snacks.

I agree with you on reading news vs. watching it.

Demo - while I agree that there are many things to be pissed off about from the last 8 years, to me doing it at the Obama inaguration in a juvenile way was bad style. I will say that Obama's own words regarding how things will change under his administration (with Bush sitting uncomfortably a few feet away) were pretty sharp-edged. In my view, they were true and needed to be said. And he did it in a respectful (but unapologetic) manner.
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #35
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Yarmony: You're right, I'm a pseudo-intellectual. I prefer the synonym 'self-aggrandizing jackass' but hey, use whatever term you like.

That being said I take some warming amount of pride that I caused you to look up and regurgitate fancy two-dollar words Nice job on big-word Wednesday. I'm just curious what label you'd paste to yourself...

My chief problem with the booing was the time & place, not the act itself. I thought that doing so on that stage, at that moment, was classless. The act itself is well-deserved, certainly.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #36
Bozeman, Montana
Made the Presidental ceremony seem like a rap contest. It didn't give an impression of a society willing to adovcate peace and love.
Old 01-21-2009   #37
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
First, Bush deserves probably the most blame of anybody for this economic situation. Remember who really can issue orders for the SEC, The FDIC and The Federal Reserve? Oh yea, the president. To change policies and encourage stricter enforcement and oversight of existing laws he didn't need congressional approval. He had alot of power to address problems but didn't.

As to the opiates thing, I appologize, that was a cheap shot recalling the drug legalization debate we had.

Obama isn't going to tax my parents 401k's. They certainly don't make more than $250,000. By the way, enjoy the tax cut that Obama is probably going to give you all, unless you're loaded in which case you really shouldn't be complaining.

I don't understand how, because my countrymen voted in a moron, I can't criticize him and express my extreme bitterness. Remember the "love it or leave it" stickers during the Vietnam war? That war certainly made alot of sense and the attitude that protests against it were un-patriotic really helped the situation. Nixon really was a dick, period.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #38
Durango, Colorado
Point taken Heliodorus. Personally I don't see another venue where the magnitude and scope of American bitterness can be better expressed. Its really a swift verbal kick in the ass on his way out, and I can't completely dissapprove even if it was somewhat disrespectful of the ceremony. Its classlessness is so completely overshadowed by the way Bush conducted himself that I really can't bring myself to be completely dissapointed.
Old 01-21-2009   #39
Bozeman, Montana
$250,000, that is regular ever year wages that will be getting taxed; not the number correlating if your 401 will be taxed. read some newspapers away from steve for a while.

the war in ireq isn't the same war as in vietnam.
Old 01-21-2009   #40
Durango, Colorado
The 401 K thing was something that was discussed, not an actual plan formulated by Obama. Taxing 401k profits would pale in comparrison to the average 20-30% hit most people just took on their investments.