Old 11-07-2012   #11
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
One state is an interesting tester, two (WA) makes the Feds consider their options.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #12
This is part of the new economy. Rather than spending government taxes on putting peaceful people in jail, and then spending more taxes to keep them there, then spending more to build new prisons, then spending more to fight organized crime, we will have new jobs and new revenue for schools. Way to go Colorado and Washington! This could be a bellweather issue for states rights vs federal control.

jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by brandob9
One state is an interesting tester, two (WA) makes the Feds consider their options.
Exactly right.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #14
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
It'll be interesting to see how quickly the federal government gets involved.

Thats my question too. Let us no forget about Washington. They passed the same law too.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #15
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by brandob9
Yep. Gonna be a lot harder to fight two states than one. It would have been three, but it lost here in Oregon. We could really use that money, being one of the brokest states.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #16
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
We went backwards in MT, and there were some Fed busts of dispensaries that the state stood back and allowed to happen.

It would be more beneficial if all these states would fight the .Fed government at the same time. Divided we fall.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #17
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The feds hammered all the green card businesses in mt, basically shut it down. Nothing like putting a sign in the window advertising that you're breaking federal law. Obama's soft hand on pot went away. The accused aren't even allowed to bring up state medical mar laws in their trials. They all got hammered.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #18
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
People are so easily swayed.

It's odd that the same voters who approved medical marijuana in 2008 voted to affirm the Legislature's overarching decision to gut it.

Fickle fools.

I don't smoke, but I'm tired of this "war on drugs" that we waste millions on.

I don't know about fickle. The law got passed under the assumption that sick people would have access to an additional form of medication. Typically terminal and degenerative cases are paraded in this cause. Then when the bill gets passed and the more conservative types found out instead of giving the thumbs on the terminal cancer patient they really provided open access to anyone who can lie to a fly by night doctor setup in a mall parking lot... well they feel burned. In CO it worked out because their demographics are different. In MT the populous truly wanted medical acceptability with limited loop holes. I agree with Mike that this just killed MMJ, since it basically requires a caretaker to operate at a loss to provide medicine. That leaves spouses, family members and yourself in terms of cultivation. While that is feasible in some cases it is not feasible in others. Even those with an in house care provider (nurse) would not legally be able to use that provide to cultivate their crop.

I think in the long run it will pan out and legalize including for recreation but in the short run the abuse of the system hurt MT patients.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #19
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by marko View Post
CO is a tester state, and the Fed won't do anything at first. The regulation system in CO for medical cannabis is the best of all states who have med cannabis. Its the reason why the Feds havent cracked down on dispensaries here in CO compared to CA dispensaries. The Fed will see how the reg system turns out for recreational use, and if CO proves it can safely regulate, grow and sell cannabis we'll see the dominoes start falling in other states. When the huge tax revenues start rolling in the Fed and banks will be fawning over themselves to get a piece of the profits.
I agree with you 100% on this Mark. Hopefully we as a society can regulate it responsibly.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #20
Another possibility is the feds make a lot of noise about enforcing federal law thru the IRS and banking laws. They could also threaten withholding federal money, remember how we got 55 mph?. The alcohol lobby, which includes our governor, pressure the state officials to never set up the regulations to open legal grow/retail operations.

So no industry develops, but also there is no enforcement of federal possession laws and no state/local enforcement, so possession is legal but retail does not exist. So still a black market and legal home grow and no one goes to jail for possession.

A big question mark is the amendment also legalized the industrial
growing of hemp, which is perfect for Colorado agriculture. This was under played in the debate but has a huge economic upside. But with the legal limbo, will any farmers risk growing?

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote