Old 11-09-2006   #11
I'm also not too excited about the Democratic victory. Things are really screwed up and it will be hard to fix. We have little credibility in the world. Our military has been significantly weakened--many good officers have left out of discust. We are too weak now to deal with Iran. Our country has a huge deficit yet there is very little discretionary spending left to cut. Our education system sucks. Wealth is spread very unevenly and getting worse.

Yes, we have a great country, but our quality of life isn't that good compared with other modern countries.

stof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #12
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Word. I think sometimes patriotism and nationalism get in the way of American's admission to ourselves that maybe we're not the best nation out there anymore. The "we're not perfect but still the best" attitude is counterproductive. Maybe we need to realize that our business as usual is unsustainable, our environmental and energy policies are reprehensible, our education rating among western nations is unacceptible and in the land of milk and honey NO ONE should ever go to bed hungry. Soon when you're abroad you'll have to pretend your Canadian. I know many who already do.

But fuck it..I'm comfortable. Complacency is a bitch. Hunger is the motivator. I think the day is fast coming when America finds itself hungry again. It's a shame it has to come to that before we seriously consider reform.

I know, I know...if you don't love it than get the hell out. I've seriously considered that option before and probably will again.

It's probably just my sobriety talking. My brain's not used to strait blood and it's hard to type with the DTs. Anybody gonna send me some booze already or what?

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #13
Indian Hills, Colorado
One of the most disturbing things about the election is the percentage of the population that voted for the status quo, appx 45% on a national average. That's spooky.

Furthermore, I'm wondering when popular culture may again swing toward social responsibility. It wasn't an overwhelming theme in the 90's, but atl least it was a theme. Today it seems more britney this and who wants to win money on a game show that.
DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006   #14
Glad to see people coming around,I've been saying essentially the same thing for 30 years,was reevaluating my whole worldview until Bush and the neocons came along and reaffirmed it,didn'y think it could get much worse than Reagan. The Dem's will probably just be Republicans light economically but they are infinitely more sensible on social issues,and hopefully more receptive to meaningful change.I know it sounds corny ,but I think humanity is at a critical juncture a major paradigm shift is coming with a kind of benign globalism{ not in the current sense of the word}, the US needs to make amends with the world or wer'e going to get left behind. A popular political catch phrase ' out of touch with the mainstream of America' is more accurately put 'America is out of touch with the mainstream of humanity"{see the lopsided votes at the UN and the World Court that the US IS ROUTINELY ON THE WRONG SIDE OF,and uses it's veto power as a permanent member of the Security Council to undermine on behalf of the Corporate Oligarchy}.The reactionaries seek to head this off with religous fundamentalism and economic conservatism/Libertarianism but I believe this will backfire on them and only expediate change in reaction to there abuses of power and increasingly absurd justification of it.If it doesn't then the future is bleak.
Isn't it evident that patriotism is idiocy?The idea being that right is dtermined by where you are from instead of what you youv'e done,it's one thing to love your country another to be blind to it's injustices. 2 cents
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #15
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #16
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Cayo, I am alot younger than you, but I see it too. The paradigm shift is coming, and we have disposable pop culture to thank for it. The neo-cons are so powerful these days because of the inter-generational unity they were able to maintain in BC era (before cable). Without the ability to shelter their kids from listless, sheepish pop-culture, let alone critical-thinking and driven alternative culture, they are powerless in the future.

All sillyness aside, um ..
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #17
pnw, Washington
I understand that we have just changed a right shoe for a left shoe but its still just a shoe but sitting here in Colorado Springs and seeing the huge effort that Focus on the Family makes to change the direction of this country through the Republican party, I can consider this a huge win and I am very happy about it.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #18
I ain't that old,42, just obsessed with politics ,history,geography,from a young age,it was just intuitive that capitalism is incompatable with human decency ,puts acquisition of money and materialism above all other values.I guess its because mom was very political and we prioritized travel and got to see things from another point of view, yeah there is a world beyond the border ans those people matter just as much as us.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote