Old 10-30-2009   #21
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Got up on Monarch Pass for a few bc turns yesterday. The snow is very heavy and hasn't quite set up yet...but it has that deep blue color that means it's holding lot's of moisture. 3.5-4 feet on the ground and it was still dumping at 4 pm yesterday, looking like it's going to be another excellent season!

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #22
Fort Collins, Colorado
Probably end up with the Colorado pass again this year. Would probably rather have the Copper/Winter w/ Steamboat, but my buddy that skied there with me is working up in Alaska this year. I know, how thoughtless right...
Broke my Sims board last year. Down to an M3 Talon park board. Will likely be picking up a new board soon.
Flows on my M3, had Burton Cartels on my Sims. I like both of them a lot. RIP little Sims board.

Anyone want to take on a new guy for your back country trips? I would really like to get into it, but I've never done it so I'd probably be a lame partner for a few trips.
I've got a truck, I don't mind driving for sure. I'd be more than happy to pull a trailer.

RenoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #23
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
be shredding big sky proabbly 100+ days this year. hit me up also fot he winter buzzards any of you live around bozeman and want to go hit some quake lake with me? solo is kinda fun you know but another boater would be killer.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #24
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I have been late to get out there this year. A wife with the flu and 2 little ones to take care of will do that. That should change this weekend. I am psyched to have new T1 tele boots and I got some new Karhu Storms late last year, but it is too early for them. I think I will break out my old Volkl P30 skis for my first day in-bounds. Skiing the old boards first always makes me appreciate the newer stuff more. That and my old race stuff can hold a edge until the end of time. If I get some backcountry this weekend I will break out my Tua Sumos. I hate to make them into rock boards but my old Outer Limits rock board is beyond rock status now.

I will be skiing mostly Monarch and the surrounding backcountry, but I do get around. I am sure there will be some days at CB, Wolfcreek, and various Summit and Eagle county resorts. I might make it up to Big Sky and Jackson this year, so I might have to look up Casper and see how he rides!

Originally Posted by RenoPowers View Post
Anyone want to take on a new guy for your back country trips? I would really like to get into it, but I've never done it so I'd probably be a lame partner for a few trips.
I've got a truck, I don't mind driving for sure. I'd be more than happy to pull a trailer.

Reno, if you are serious about wanting to get into backcountry, you need more then a truck. Get yourself a beacon, a metal shovel, avalanche probes and a pack to put it in. Also take a Avalanche class and then you will be set to join someones trip. I would not take someone backcountry with out the safety equipment. Without the basic stuff and knowing how to use them, you are just a liability for your group as you can neither help find someone else that gets buried nor can you be found easily. I am sure someone would take you without the proper gear, but is you life worth so little that you would not want to help people find you if you got buried? And vice-verca?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #25
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Snowhere- totally check out Big Sky, never been to Jackson but Big Sky is totally unpopulated - you see one or two other people on the same run and think "hmmm, it's getting crowded"

I love Big Sky, no lift lines, no one else on your ski run and wicked terrain to check out.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #26
Buena Vista, Colorado
Yea, Jensjustduckie, I skied Big Sky back in 01. The only line I saw was the for the tram. That line was pretty long. That and the ski patrol was a little full of themselves with access to the Big Couloir. But a cool place and I hope to get up there again this year.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #27
Ridin the Butte, monarch and may be snowmass some. I get out to reno in march.
Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #28
Winter Park, Colorado
See you soon, old roomie!

Originally Posted by milo View Post
.....cb mountain.....easy stuff only......nukin' here right now....anybody want to get their sketch on this winter, come on into town...i'll put you up 10 minutes from the lifts....can usually round up comps(tougher these days but possible)....can you say "steep", i knew you could.....milozadik wishecouldski
This is an offer too good to pass, my brother! You will very likely be seeing me this season, if this is an open offer. Been too long!

"Man is entitled to his adventures" - Ramtha
Homerslides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #29
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by RDNEK View Post
So where are all you buzzards goin to be riding this winter... As in what pass did you get or not get and what will you be ridin on????

I will go ahead and start..

For 09-10 I got another Monarch season pass and the 5 day classic pass for Aspen (Highlands and Snowmass)... I wish I would have went on the road trip and picked up a tensleep pass from Jackson but just did not get that done this fall..

I will be ridin on a Lib Tech 164.5 travis rice c2 btx board at the resort.. For the bc, cat trips, heli trips, and big days at the resorts it is a Lib Tech 1986 snow mullett that is 165 cm. Finally I am lookin at a venture split that a friend is selling and may end up with that stick as well.. (Also I have to put in a plug for the three boards I have for sale in the gear swap - cleanin up the quiver... Take a look I just lowered all the prices and you can get a great stick for $200 - $300)

To get out into the BC I use a 2009 M1000 or for my back up a 2008 Arctic Cat M1000 /153... Yea I know a back up sled is kinda overkill but I put between 2000 and 3000 miles a year on my sleds so in that many miles something will go wrong..

So lets hear from the rest of you!! Where you going to be ridin this winter???
I've got the Colorado pass, and 5 days at Aspen (Highlands mainly but maybe a day at Snowmass too..) BRUTAL price hike for that pass! Doing a trip with some buddies to crested butte in two weeks and also skiing there on new years. Also, planning on making a trip down to Taos in late January. Did a utah trip over this past Thanksgiving (NO new snow - bummer!) and am planning another one in february during peak season. Probably alta or snowbird. Here are some pics i posted of this past weekend. It's a brighton, we hiked to pioneer ridge and found a bunch of untouched snow fields in the cliff area...

I'm skiing Volkl Gotama's 168's in the resorts and have some salomon czar 174's with marker dukes strapped on for touring days in the BC (berthoud, vail, loveland, red moutain pass). UNPATIENTLY waiting for more snow! Happy riding everyone!
fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #30
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
10 year old atomic deep powders with rottefella cobras
5 year old atomic tmx with rottefella cobras
5 year old atomic tmx with silveretta pures (buddy ski)

Scarpa t1 (few buckle repairs, I ditched the power strap)

75 cent ski swap rental poles

Skiing- mostly backcountry, very little at the practice slopes. However, I do have a season pass @ monarch. Sick area for when the avy danger is too high (or the powder too deep to justify earning my turns). Currently heading out for my 13th day of B/C (12,000'+ this early in the season)

caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote