Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 01-07-2009   #1
Why not weekend bus service to ski areas?

Why isn't there weekend bus service from the Front Range to Keystone, Breck, Vail, Copper, & Winter Park?

You would think that there are enough skiiers for buses to run every 15 minutes. The bus would drop you right at the slope. People would probably be happy to pay $20 for this, which should pay for it.

This should clear up the traffic and parking problems.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I do not think busses are long term solutions. With the current trends, if you take some ski traffic away by getting them into busses, there are plenty more who will fill in and the end result is still the gridlock that we see today. I think the only real solution is something that does not roll on the highway, I.E. train, light rail, monorail is the only way to go. Such trains can wizz past traffic giving those stuck in traffic some incentive to take the train next time. Plus when an accident closes the highway, trains can keep rolling. I know it is not the cheapest, but it is the price we will have to pay for the last 30 years of shortsightedness of the general populace.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #3
I think you could make it attractive for 50% of the people to take buses. Drop off closer to the slopes, make parking expensive, comfy buses, etc.

I assume the word has gotten out with how expensive a train or monorail would be. 2 billion dollars probably doesn't mean that much, but if you try to recover costs with only rider fees, the fee would probably be $200-$400 a ride. If riders don't pay that, who?
Old 01-08-2009   #4
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think we need some toll booths. I'm not sure where and how much but if people can buy an epic pass and an suv they should be able to afford $5 t $10 for use of the road. Maybe higher tolls during higher use times and taking all the money to invest in a sustainable solution.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It would not be viable if rail cost in the hundreds. There is no non-subsidized transportation. Maintaining roads is massively expensive. Instead of trying to add a lane every ten years too late, the money would go to rail cost instead. It has worked in Europe for decades, so it can work here. We have to think, will any particular 'solution' still be viable in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years..... Nothing short of an alternative to pavement will work into the future. Any stopgap type of solution will just be a bandaid, not a true solution.

Don't get me wrong, buses do need to be in the solution, and can be mobilized quickly, but they will not succeed if we do not do something bigger that will not need pavement.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #6
Swiss & Austrian rail isn't a good comparison. In Europe they have longer, broader valleys, which is much easier/cheaper to build rail in. In the tough places they did build rail, it was generally built to connect two very major cities. Rail in the alps weren't built for the purpose of skiing, except perhaps Zermatt, and that's only a few miles.

Rail would be sweet, but unless we really jack up taxes, I don't see how it can be paid for. And there's better stuff to spend the money on.

I like the idea of tolls, but is it legal to put a toll on I-70? It's a federal public road. It may take an act of congress.

Why won't busses work for 10-20 years?????
Old 01-09-2009   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Tolls are bullshit, and probably illegal anyway because its a federal highway. If they did collect tolls, the money would probably just disappear in the federal DOT budget anyway, and be used to build bridges in Alaska.

And think about it. Who's getting taxed the most with tollways? It's the locals who have to use the freeway everyday, and never needed 6 lanes in the first place. If it was just locals using the roads, they would have been served just fine by the original 2 lane highway. Its only front rangers and tourists who create the jam, and only front rangers and tourists who bitch and whine about it too. The cost burden of any solution really should be carried by fairly them, and a tollway won't do that.

I favor the train in the long run. Probably won't cost any more than adding lanes, and is definately more energy efficient in a world where energy costs are only going to rise.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #8
Big advantage of buses is that we could start today. A rail or monorail is
10 years of massive construction (and traffic delays) before the first passenger.

There already is all the infrastructure in place for rail to MaryJane and Winter Park, but we only have a train the runs part of the season, weekends only and is priced as an expensive tourist attraction.
What we need is an affordable ski train that goes to DIA, Stapleton, Downtown and a Boulder stop at highway 93.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #9
They used to do that from Dave Cook's Sporting Goods stores quite some time ago. Didn't seem to go over very well and they got canceled because they could not make a profit. Sheit... that was back in the 70's!
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #10
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ski Train

Do some research, Winter Park has had a ski train come to the mountain on the weekend for the last 50 years

Jason Cox is offline   Reply With Quote