Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 01-10-2009   #11
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Portland uses buses

Have you ever been to Portland, OR. They have buses that run you up to the mountain a few times a day.

Jason Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #12
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Buses from Boulder also make it to Eldora.

To work the buses would need to be more like a shuttle. Leave frequently from an accessible location. And be cheap.

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #13
B.F.E., Wyoming
Originally Posted by Jason Cox View Post
Do some research, Winter Park has had a ski train come to the mountain on the weekend for the last 50 years
Already been mentioned bud...
There already is all the infrastructure in place for rail to MaryJane and Winter Park, but we only have a train the runs part of the season, weekends only and is priced as an expensive tourist attraction.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #14
Yea, I've taken the ski train. It costs >$59 and takes 2 hours & 15 minutes. You have to board the train at 7:15 to arrive at 9:30am. It takes me 60 minutes to drive to the train and find parking and get on board, so the total trip time is >3 hours. It only goes 50 miles, so the average speed is about 21 miles an hour--painfully slow.

The fact that 750 people take the train every Saturday & every Sunday despite the cost and time suggests that buses will work.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #15
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Long run, by which I mean right now, we need more lanes AND/OR a train. So we should ALREADY be drilling a third bore for the tunnels even though we haven't figured out what we are building. Why we haven't started baffles me.

Originally Posted by basil View Post
I think you could make it attractive for 50% of the people to take buses. Drop off closer to the slopes, make parking expensive, comfy buses, etc.
Hey, I'm all about busses, but careful there. Some of us live up here. Don't screw us with artificial parking fees meant to force you front rangers onto busses.
SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #16
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If you're really all about busses, why aren't you taking the Summit Stage (free) to the slopes? Thus eliminating the parking fee?
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #17
If buses were profitable it would be happening.. There are ton of private bus companies, some of them have even tried bus service from places like Ft Collins and other places only for them to discontinue service due to costs. The same holds true for the monorail, I have seen estimates by backers that would suggest that it would be $50-$60 each way, then you would have to get off in Frisco and transfer to a bus to get to the actual resort, how many people would really be interested in doing this? I would guess that alot of people would say that they would do it but very few would actually take it once it was running.

The ski train would be way more atractive if they had a stop in Rollinsville so that you could just drive up the canyon and use the train for the last 15 miles to WinterPark. This would leave you with about a 30 minute train ride and would be completely utilitarian rather than a "Scenic Outing". The other thing about the ski train that would make it more atractive would be if you could buy overnight tickets. Go up Sat morning and come back Sun night but I don't think the capacity on the train would allow for this.

I think they should have taken the money they spent on redoing Berthoud pass and put it towards building a new tunnel parallel to the Moffat tunnel so that anyone going to WinterPark, Grand Lake, Kremmling and Steamboat would be completely off of I70 all together. They have tunnels in Europe that are well over the distance that would be needed to go through the Rollins Pass area. You would also have the option of either taking either 119 or 72 to Rollinsville and then a short drive through a tunnel.

Then after that they could expand 285 all the way through so that now you would have 3 main arteries for getting anywhere to the mountains.
Keep Boulder Chocolate
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #18
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
must of missed it

the train does bring over 700 hundred people on saturday and another 700 on sunday during the time the ski train runs.
Jason Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #19
A rail system has been voted on and defeated a couple times, a full study has finally been approved:
I-70 high-speed rail feasibility study in works : Traffic : The Rocky Mountain News

Now this is a little out there, but I guess It could work...
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #20
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The ski train doesn't work well because there's only one a day, its on a track built at the turn of the century, which means slow tight turns and steep grades, and given all of the coal trains that run the same track, they probably can't even add a second train due to scheduling.

I think the public would warm up to the monorail idea with some better discussion of the pro vs. cons, especially stacked up against the other alternatives. The whole reason for using monorail is that it would avoid many of the extremely expensive and difficult issues with widening the highway, because most of it could be built within the existing right-of-way. It would just be elevated above the road in the really tight areas like the Georgetown Hill or the canyon reaches. If you wanted to add two lanes in areas like that, you'd have the blast so much rock and build such massive retaining walls that you'd easily match or surpass the cost of a train. Plus there's a lot of private property in Georgetown and Idaho Springs that would have to be condemned and compensated, and the locals will battle you to the death.

benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote