Old 03-29-2011   #21
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I think the buzz should have a gun form as well. Guns always come up. Just saying. I like guns a lot.

dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #22
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
This one made me angry

I used to have this awesome chocolate lab. Alot of people on this site knew her by name and didn't know me. She hated being left at home and loved hanging out in the car. So, I would bring her along on ski days. I even put a dish in the back so she would have water. One day I came back to my car at Keystone (yes rip away) and some tool had scratched leave your dog at home on my window. At the time, I was much poorer than I am today. I had to replace the window. To this day, I would like to find the self rightous tool that did that and give them a bit of justice.

Dogs are pretty adaptable. I'm not the let them run on the lot guy, like many used to do at the beach at the basin. Many dogs really do love being out there. Even if it is just watching the activity of the parking lot from inside a car.

I think a better question to throw out on a web site might be "What is it about certain ski patrollers that make them self rightous judgemental tools?"

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #23
Commercial Paleontology
Dogs Stay or Go

I have two dogs who are truly my best friends & they go practically everywhere I go that is feasible...They absolutely prefer staying in my truck over being left's like it is their second home..They sulk when left home but when it's " Load Up" they could never be happier...Their loyalty is to be where ever I am & as close as possible...The one male who is 15.5 yrs & still going fairly strong has logged over 275,000 miles in his rig.....They are both Blue Heelers & yes.. just try to get in my truck...I rarely lock it..Ha...
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #24
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by jpbay View Post
Ok what gives,you go skiing or boarding and bring the dog so you can leave it locked in the car all day Does anyone think that dog likes it? Leave the dog at home or don't ski & take the dog for a long walk !
We travel with our dogs. Putting them in a kennel would cost as much as a human motel every night.

I live on one side of the mountains, my parents live on the other. When we go to visit we stop and ski. The dogs are in a crate in the car with a down sleeping bag. I come down at lunch and walk them.

They love going for a ride and they love their crate. But they hate people who aren't minding their own business staring in at them when they are in the car. Hate it. Drives them nuts.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #25
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Dogs don't wear wrist watches. They don't know if they have been left in a car 2 minutes or 2 hours. That being said I care more about the dogs than many of the bad owners who leave them in the sun with the windows rolled up and no water. If you aren't that guy; great, you're a good owner.

Last year at Hecla we saw a dog left in a truck that was dying right before our eyes. The heat in that truck cab must have been over 150 degrees. Pretty sorry ass of whoever left him there thinking their dog was having good time while he/she was running Brown's Canyon. Closest I've come to smashing a window out of a truck. If it were a child the parent would be in jail. Most dog owners will say "my dog is like my kid". It leaves me to wonder how some of them care for their children. I've met bad dog owners who feel their dogs are just property to dispose of as they see fit and maybe this owner just didn't know any better.

Many don't think it gets "that hot" in a parking lot of a ski resort in winter. They should put a thermometer on their dash sometime and check it. Wise owners put sunguards in their windshield, crack windows more than 1/16th of an inch, and leave water before they go off to play without their best friend. Some animal cruelty simply comes from a lack of knowledge.

Sorry for the long rant, but I love dogs.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #26
The OC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
You will see my dog in my car. Leave him and me alone.
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #27
Keep it right side up
Mc Coy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with the majority. My dogs would rather be in the car than left in the house.
swedgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #28
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by jpbay View Post
To quote Paul Harvy: And now the rest of the story. ( From1990)While patroling We brought in a patiante with a fractured femur.He was skiing by himself and had his dog in the suv.We offered to shuttle his truck down the mountian to his family members(they had no way to do it at that time) The dog was a lab mix and had other thoughts about someone taken that truck,The dog went Montana size guns about it.The dog chewed the seats to shreads!The sheriff was called in. bad seen A family member made the drive up the mountian and was able to control the dog.Anyway thats almost the same thing as what happend this weekend.Ski safe ,raft safe ,you'r dog can't drive the truck! PS montuckyhuch the .357 is just her pee shooter too!
your read makes mine head hurting.

What r Montana.size guns to a dog?gone weird righting styles you have hears.

I used to leave my dog in the car. Totally happy. Loved it. Always sleeping when I got back to the car. Park in shady, quiet spot of the lot. Sun shades, windows cracked.

I also did a really irresponsible thing (even for an extremely well behaved social dog) - I just left him at the base area to run wild for a couple hours. He got so many treats and was so happy. He didn't puke that night either, so that was a bonus. I would do cruise bys to see if he was around. One time he had the whole D team snuggling him. Another it was a flock of teenage snowboarders. No one called me. He didn't get put in jail. Sure seemed to enjoy it too. Bad Dad. Sit.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #29
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
GUNS! Thanks for bringing that up.. So my girlfriend (who doesnt like to be left at home) does enjoy shooting stuff so when I go shooting. Usually I let her out of the car to shoot with me and my friends. Dont freak out; i still keep her on a leash with one of those easy-leaders attached she is just allowed out of the car for 10-15 minutes to squeeze off a few .22 rounds and then she goes right back in. Windows up.
smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #30
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Snow vs. Sun

Most owners train their dogs well, the dogs like to hang with them, and they will often treat their car as a den so they have their own personal space. Agreed that people should be aware of both the cold and the sun at the ski areas and prep their car appropriately.

During summer on the river is a different story. Temps inside a car can quickly raise to a lethal level.

A friend of mine worked security at the Oregon Country Fair one summer, his main job was going around and breaking windows of cars to save dogs lives. It amazes me how many idiots are out there believing their dogs are fine in the car on a 90 degree day with the windows up.....I always wanted that job.

JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote