Old 11-20-2008   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Who has the best snowcat operation?

I have spent the last few years going with Monarch Snowcat tours, the trips are always incredibly fun, with a variety of terrain...but I am looking to mix it up a little this season. I was thinking of planning a trip with Telluride Hellitrax until I saw their prices - $1350 per day, and $150 per additional run! So now I am looking at San Juan Snowcats, and just wandering if anyone has experience with them, and if not - who is your favorite?

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #2
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I don't know much about them, but I know the Steamboat area also has a snowcat company, Snowcat Skiing in Steamboat Springs, Colorado with Steamboat Powdercats that operates in the Buffalo Pass area. Not your granite skirted vertical, but I bet they have good snow with killer glades and tree skiing. Looks like the cat holds 10. Prices look good at $400 a head, unless you consider the buy out at $4k.

"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by -k- View Post
I don't know much about them, but I know the Steamboat area also has a snowcat company
Yeah, from their website it looks pretty cool. But I looked at their calendar and almost all the weekends were allready booked full - could still be a lot of fun for a mid-week powder day.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #4
The next zone, .
Yea I am plannin a heli trip up to AK or BC this year and it is not cheap!!

If you are looking into payin for heli time I would also say to invest in a ticket to BC or AK. From what I have seen and for the coin you have to drop there is better terrain / snow out there than the stuff we have here around Colorado.

Ski cooper's cat op is fun if they have snow.. San Juan has a better chance of gettin good snow and has better terrain... The steamboat guys compete more than some others with privates on snowmachines but the terrain and snow are usually great.

I would also look into - well I cant think of the name right now but the are around Jackson Wy and super fun. Not a bad drive and they will have better snow most of the time.

Gotta love a choice like this.. Kinda hard to go wrong with any of these choices!!
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #5
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
steamboat powdercats is a great operation. a former employer took several of us on a trip with them a few years ago. the guides were great. the terrain and snow were great. and the accommodations for lunch were top notch. i would highly recommend them.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
If you are looking to ski the San Juans check out El Diablo Snowcat Tours. Great guys. Fun terrain. El Diablo Snowcat Skiing & Snowboarding - Durango and Silverton, Colorado - Guided Mountain Tours
hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I've also been on the Steamboat Powdercats operation. I had one of the most epic days of skiing in my life on Buff Pass- just sick. Over 4' of champagne. One of my buddies is a guide for them, and I know a lot of the guys that work there- they're good people. Truly, a quality company and worth the money. They emphasize safety, but they don't hold back terrain unless it's really dangerous.

They also offer a very reasonable Avy Safety class; run also on Buff Pass from the cat. The machine allows then to get you right to good location for digging test pits, and the tracks really simulate an avalanche deposition zone for beacon practice. I think a couple of Buzzards have been on it- Dave Frank went last year, I think. I did mine 2 years ago.

I've wanted to check out the Monarch operation as well, but I haven't gotten around to it.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #8
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
You've been spoiled with monarch (both price and terrain). I've done San Juan and they are pretty sick. They have incredible terrain (but I don't know the cost). You might think about doubling it up with a day at Silverton Ski Area.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #9
Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I live outside Steamboat & Powder Cats is awesome. But, check out the Grand Targhee powder cat ski outfit operating off the mountain... done that as well and it is sweet!! cheapish too. $500 for a full day i believe
ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #10
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Here is another vote for El Diablo. They are on top of molas pass so the snow holds way better that San juan Snow Cats. The owner/guides are boaters and very mellow. They will do all in their power to give you a great trip.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote