Old 12-07-2009   #1
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Where's the snow in CO right now?

My sister is going to be road tripping through CO in a week or so, and wants to hit some snow for a day or two. She's not a cliff-jumping, figure 11/AK style skiier, but would like to hit some good snow with some fun lines. She isn't going to be skiing any of the chutes at Jackson, or the ridge at Bridger, but has fun on most "traditional" black diamond "runs". She's not into the glitsy resort thing, but doesn't mind them if that's what's good.

So, recommendations? She'll be heading from the PNW to Glenwood springs, then generally along I70 back to the midwest. I know there's a lot of options along that route for terrain and I imagine snowpack, but not sure what's got snow and what doesn't. Price point is also a factor, good skiing for less is better skiing for her right now.

What's good right now? More importantly, what should she avoid?

Thanks Buzzards

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
The only place with a good natural base is Wolf Creek, which is way south of I-70, near New Mexico. Telluride and Purgatory are getting hammered right now, but they're also way south and don't have much natural base yet, but check back after this storm. The northern half of the state is open on snowmaking only right now. Loveland may be her best bet on I-70 right now; they're cheaper and nobody really has anything good open yet. Sunlight is cheaper too and very close to Glenwood. Avoid all of the mega resorts; the price definitely ain't worth it yet (if it ever is).

Check the season progress report at

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #3
go south

I would stay away from the I-70 corridor as much as possible when skiing in Colorado especially with christmas break coming up in a week or two for most schools/colleges.

I would recommend heading south and check out the smaller ski areas Wolf Creek(they have received 32" in the past 48 hours and it is still snowing) and Monarch are usually good bets for the best snow to $$ value.

There are several other small(?) areas [Durango Mountain Resort, Eldora, Loveland, Powderhorn, Ski Cooper, Sol Vista, Sunlight (closest to Glenwood Springs) and San Juan Snowcat (more expensive but fun people to ski with)] that I am sure others on this forum can fill you in on.
panaboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #4
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Keystone has the most terrain open right now. That might change after the storm however. All of the I-70 mtns have black diamond 'runs' so i would just check to see where the most snowfall is when the date your sister comes to town gets closer...

Most of the I-70 mtns have a variety of everything, i would just pick a spot based on snowfall and also go where the crowds aren't..

A-basin probably would be your best bet for price but Zuma Bowl probably won't til January no matter how much snow we get so half their mtn won't be open.

Pick your poison.... and happy riding
fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #5
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Originally Posted by mjpowhound View Post
Avoid all of the mega resorts; the price definitely ain't worth it yet (if it ever is).

Dumbest thing Ive ever heard...

I can get you tickets to any Vail resort for 45 bucks. Yea, soooo pricey.
Even though loveland is more than that.

Dumbass. Ask around, and you can get some good deals.

To the OP. If she want to hit up a VA resort, let me know.
Ill hook her up with a cheaper ticket.

Oh yea.. Some resorts are still closed, like cooper. So, be sure to check as to when they open....Thats way off the interstate anyways though...
the_skin_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #6
Edwards, Colorado
Looks like most of Colorado is getting good snow today. Dumping outside my window in Edwards. Vail still needs more snow to get the backside open. Her best bet along the I-70 corridor might be to base a couple nights in Silverthorne/Frisco. Fairly cheap lodging and she could ski Copper, Breck, A Basin or Loveland. See some variety, have some fun, not have to pack up and move every night to ski a different hill.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #7
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
if she wants resorts and is into the non-glam thing, loveland or a-basin are her best bets along i-70. if she skis the backcountry, that's a whole different topic.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #8
Edwards, Colorado
This doesn't relate directly to Laura's request but here's a great website for Colorado powder hounds with a sense of humor: Colorado Powder Forecast | Unique and targeted weather for Colorado skiers

The latest update is "close to four feet of snow down at Wolf Creek, 20" at Crested Butte, 15" at Telluride, about 15" at Sunlight, a foot at Aspen, and 28" at Powderhorn".

SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #9
Ridgway, Colorado
[QUOTE=the_skin_eater;167483]Dumbest thing Ive ever heard...

"I can get you tickets to any Vail resort for 45 bucks. Yea, soooo pricey.
Even though loveland is more than that.

Dumbass. Ask around, and you can get some good deals."

45 bucks my ass buddy. The I-70 Megas are expensive ($80+), just like all the other decent resorts in the state. You can get cheap ones if you know somebody, not if you just rolled in. Whats the attitude for anyway. Why dont you try to set up OP, or at least tell where to find these super easy deals. Dumbass

OP- Crested Butte & Monarch are great choices with cool towns that arent too far off the beaten path
rmathis27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #10
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
CB or Monarch.......over any of the I-70' any time of the year.

Sorry V-Valley and Summit folks.......but that entire corridor is ridiculous......I don't care how much snow you've gotten.

The SW resorts would be awesome (Telluride, Wolf Creek, etc.)....but that'll be quite out of the way for your sister.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote