Old 11-13-2011   #11
x, x
Paddling Since: x
sorry pete, i thought it was paul who mentioned it

you are right about the pass price vs the set up, no argument there. I just figured more people would take the positive side about the BC near boulder. i understand not posting BC beta on the thread.

and yes, the pass price here vs utah or cali is much less, but so are the resorts.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #12
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
BC takes the cake over a resort just about any day and Boulder ain't a bad place to live that lifestyle, no doubt about that. It just ain't a cheap lifestyle. The nice thing is that once you buy in the expenses drop off provided you can curb your desire for cool new gear.

To the op, hook up and tang along with some peeps heading out. Finding a little stash way out in the BC based on a description probably won't be easy.

GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #13
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Hope you found someone experienced to tour with; that is probably the most important thing; much better not to get in a slide, than to have to have all the safety gear, and need it. Btw, do you ski or snowboard? What do you ski in area, black diamond? Double black? Feel free to PM if you want.

A slope meter is a great thing to have, too. They are about $20; if someone in the group has one, ask them to show you how to use it; and see if they will let you take a bunch of readings. Basically just lay a ski pole on the snow, trying to approximate the slope angle, put the meter on the pole, and read it. Take 3 or 4 readings, and average them; or try to see why they are different. Try to estimate the slope angle of what you are going to ski, then measure it; get good at estimating the slope angle. If there is a crux bulge, measure it. It takes like 20 seconds to take a reading. When hiking up, some days I would take a reading every time I stopped for a breather.
I like the Life Link, but they all look similar:
Lifelink Slope Meter Brooks-Range Slope Meter One Color, One Size: Sports & Outdoors

The Life Link says that 35 to 40 degrees is the most active avalanche starting zone slope angle. The vast majority of avalanches start on slopes between 30 and 45 degrees. If you keep your slope angles under 30 degrees when you are starting out (and don't go under steeper slopes that threaten you from above), that right there will go a long way toward keeping you safe.

Don't race for first tracks this time of year. The snow is very shallow, there are rocks and stumps everywhere. Enjoy the hike up, look at where the rocks are, take photos and study them; then after the next storm cycle, you can pick the rock-free lines. A smooth grassy meadow bowl that you have hiked in the summer, that is about 30 degrees, would be ideal. PM me if you want some more ideas about safe touring.
Cheers - Bill
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #14
x, x
Paddling Since: x
this is great advice. now is the time to get out and check your lines, downed trees, scree feilds rock piles. know what it looks like before the snow falls and it can be id'd later on once the snow falls. also as a precautionary, I like to probe on my way up as well, and look for low spots/wind drift. 2' left or right can make a huge diff. in the quality of the turns, and i iding rock.

you do not need a probe out to check depth either, i ski with a collapsable pole that has a removable baskets on the end. it makes for a quick assesment on the way up and provides quick checks along the way.

so stoked!
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007

I got a nice AT setup. Will get the Avalanche gear in the next few days. I'm out of town for a few days, but will contact you when I get back.

rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote