Old 12-04-2008   #11
Snowing lightly in CB at the moment. Free tix w/ room reservation through I dont know when.

Just a few groomers open right now. The 'steep' terrain has a long way to go to get open.

Seems like the summit areas are getting hit right now.

Come here (CB) mid february or later for the goods.... an then of course during creeking season.

American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
Snowhere I don't think you were at Loveland yesterday were you? They opened chair 4 late in the day yesterday. Thigh deep all the way down the face. Best 1st day I've had in a while. North and south chutes were equally good.
No, I was not, but I did suggest Loveland, didn't I?

Still they only have 37% of terrain open, so it is not like a lot is open yet. It is great that we are getting snow, we just need more of it!

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #13
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Whats say ye about thee lines at loveland im desperate and our ski area won't open till probably mid december?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #14
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
No, I was not, but I did suggest Loveland, didn't I?

Still they only have 37% of terrain open, so it is not like a lot is open yet. It is great that we are getting snow, we just need more of it!
Sure buddy. . .
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #15
morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Send a message via MSN to kburris
Loveland Lodging (sort of)

Excellent ! early season conditions at Loveland ! 10 feet + and counting. Was just there. If you back country ski - we have a cabin that is ~ 5 miles down I-70 from Loveland and then a 3 mile ski in. It's available the next few weekends and there is great skiing up there. Email or look in the Buzz swap if you want info.
kburris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #16
Denver, Colorado
Oddly enough, Loveland is the only Summit County ski area to have received snow. If you are driving up from the front range just don't bother coming through the tunnel and make sure to stop and ski at Loveland. Breck, Copper, Keystone and A-basin really suck right now. Don't bother with these resorts, the lift lines are long and barely anything is open.

Okay... I'm lying.

Here is the Breck report:

They opened 6 Chair yesterday... there was a foot fresh this morning at the top and that was on top of 2+ foot of fresh yesterday. They opened the rest of Contest bowl today and it was bottomless. Horseshoe bowl, Cucumber and half of peak 7 slid to the ground 2 days ago, so it will need more snow to open.

Imperial Xpress for sure and possibly T-bar will be open tomorrow. Peak 9 will also open tomorrow. Imperial bowl and some of peak 7 (the stuff that didn't slide) will be open as well. Ski patrol are working their asses off trying to get as much open as possible. I think peak 10 might open next weekend (not positive). Vail management probably won't run all of the lifts until the week or so before X-mas because... well, it's about profits.

Snow is not the problem. As of Thursday at 8:30 PM it is still dumping!

Don't worry though... I, along with many other locals, will make sure to pack it all down before the weekend arrives.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #17
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98

I am really frustrated when I here that about breck. I now live in Fraser and Winter Park is planning on opening a couple top to bottom blues . I hope they get some other stuff open because they have consistently recorded more than breck. Anybody have any news about the plan for WP. I have talked to a couple of snow makers and they were talking about opening the sunny side. Might as well go to copper...
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
BOTTOMLESS THIGH DEEP in Breck's back bowls yesterday. Epic.
Ricky NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #19
Denver, Colorado
I thought I would update the Breck report.

Wind! Lots of it! It was a icebox at the top today and the wind scoured a lot of the upper mtn. They opened almost all of the front of Peak 9 today. E Chair terrain is still closed, but might have a limited opening tomorrow with no chair access. They had to delay the opening of Imperial because of the wind, but are hoping to open it tomorrow... it won't matter though because it is so wind f%cked up above treeline right now. T-bar opening has been pushed back a week to next Friday.

Also, all of that thigh deep powder in the bowls are gone. I, along with a massive heard of powder hungry locals had an epic time tracking it up yesterday and this morning.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #20
Loveland is up to 55% open

They opened chair 8 yesterday. Most of the mountain is now open, EXCEPT the ridge. That doesn't usually open till sometime in January anyway.

Season pass holders get a discount on lift tickets. If you go, just look for some sympathetic pass holder to help you out. Now that most of the lifts are open, there shouldn't be any lift lines.

But remember, Loveland is cold and windy and the terrain sucks. It's MUCH better to keep on driving till you get to one of those big resorts

alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote