Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 11-14-2005   #21
BC closed to gapers, stay out

If back country was all that great they wouldn’t have built ski areas.
Actually, if man wasn't so inherently lazy and greedy, they wouldn't have built ski resorts. Ski resorts exist for two reasons. 1. To make money 2. To allow the average overweight & out of shape American to utilize the lifts so that gravity takes over and pulls that excess weight downward towrds the bar & grill at the bottom. Don't get me wrong, if it weren't for ski resorts, skiing & riding would not have the level of progression both technologically and stylisticly that they have.

Howlie- what did you shoot? Getting some good turn in already, call me if you're ready to go. And tell your great, great, great, great, great, great Grandfather hello. It was great (no pun intended) watching him throw switch rodeo 5's the other day.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #22
To allow the average overweight & out of shape American to utilize the lifts so that gravity takes over and pulls that excess weight downward towrds the bar & grill at the bottom
With a few changes this sounds like boating. But that's not what I'm here for today.

I should have my AT gear from the shop early December. As this is my first year on AT, and not having been on boards in many years, I plan to spend some time dialing things in at the resorts before hitting the BC. 2 questions:
Where can I find the best deals on four passes?
Where can I find good intro BC terrain, (any good guidebooks, or other suggestions)? I wont be ready for the steeps for a while.

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #23
I think lifts are great. If they built them for kayaks I'd use them. It would save the trouble of shuttling and walking half a mile with your kayak. I think there should be a gondola on the Poudre. When I was done, my fat ass would be at the bar on the bottom drinking COLD beer fresh from the tap. I would sit there happy with piece of mind that comes in knowing that all my efforts were going into something I like to do. That means not hiking. The only backcountry I would do is Cat or heli-skiing. I would only do that with guides that know there stuff. It's more of a calculated risk.
I think ski areas are good because you don't get lost. You don't have to know how to read the snow and rescue someone. They have ski patrol for when you get hurt. It is better than being stuck on a mountain while the rescue crews try to get you out of there. Why risk your life for some fresh tracks? All you have to do is wake up early and be the first one on the mountain on powder days or know of a good powder stash.
chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #24
down bad vibbers . You all crack me up with the negativity. before i go full rant i will answer his question. Not worth it unless you have the pass and are jonsing big time. I went friday saturday and sunday. Friday i went to Breck at about noon no crowds by 1 lossened up my legs and got to feeling my edge again (one blue run open). Sat went BC in the upper blue river drainage above 11k on the NE slopes the snow from oct. is still there and with the 8 we got Fri it was sweet did about 5 miles and 2k. then went in area with the kids and wife. totally sucked becuse of crowds but they have the snow now to open up more looks good for Thanks giving. Sunday i retraced my sat BC but with my wife.

So all you people whining about not skiing this time of year. Take a good look at my ASS. becuse when the goods do open thats all you will see of me . sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #25
SJ and fellow buzzers. Doesn't everyone in Colorado know Breck sucks early season. A-Basin needs more snow than they usaully get by March, Loveland needs a lot of snow, but less than A-Basin and Breck, and Copper needs the least and has the most. After this snow, some others may be good, but I am telling you Copper is definately worth the drive, especially mid week. Backcountry is the way to go if its easily accessable, but for quanity and quality, there's good snow to be found in the resort. Of course I won't miss any of you if you stay home. This is all with positive vibe, cuz winter has finally arrived.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #26
Corpatrate skiing sux reason number 1006. Use to be a Summit pass included Copper. Now I have to chose between Breck and A-basin or just Copper. sux but I choose the first mostly becuse I have a Place in Blue river and I like the T- bar and Poly best. Sure the first 2 weeks in nov. suck but after that. I had a Copper pass for about 10 years I know it has it's die hards i am just not one. Does have a much better veiw of I-70 than Breck or the Basin tho sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #27
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You could buy the 3 mountain AND get the Copper/Winter park pass cheaper for what us local (non-Vail Resorts businesses) in Vail get our "discounted" 5 mountain pass for...and not have to pay $50 to go to some pointless class.

It is DUUUUUMMMPING big time in the Vail Valley right now, though!
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #28
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Steve,

Yeah, we got it rough... How much did that Summit Pass cost back in the old days when you were hanging out in the '9600? How much would it be in 2005 dollars? How much would you pay this year to get a Copper/WP AND a Colorado Pass? We've got some of the cheapest skiing in the world right out our back doors. Shucks, back in the early '80s a Breck-only merchant pass cost about the same as a Colorado Pass does now, and if you quit your job washing dishes, you lost your pass.

You, I, and anyone else that's been around Colorado skiing for more than 10 years know better than to have high expectations for early season skiing unless its a really unusually snowy fall. Hit the first lift, get in a couple of hours on the corduroy, & head for the coffee shop or couch when the crowds show up.

Hopefully the storm we're getting now will make a big difference in all this...

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #29
"As of late Monday afternoon, Loveland Ski Area had more than 32 inches of snow in 72 hours, Copper Mountain saw upward of 38 inches, and Breckenridge saw 36 inches." -Denver post today
Delbert Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #30
^^^^ I would say anywhere in Summit County is a good place to ski today...

Killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote