Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 09-26-2006   #31
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
BSOE- keep your head down over there and come back safe.. we'll ski some pow and drink plenty for ya.

I'll be on G3 reverends again this year or my aplina tour lights towing the kid around.

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #32
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Re: Skiing is lame!

Originally Posted by Alex Hotze
Why don't you guys evolve from your poles and boards and just go for one board. I know it takes a lot of balance and without those pole thingys, it will be hard to hold yourself up. Just take my word for it, the quality of you life will be much better. If you like to go through trees you will be about half as wide. Take up less room, start snowboarding!
id rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than start snowboarding. thats not to say i dont like boarders...quite different actually, i usually ride with a pack of boarders. but i ski because i like to ski. if i wanted to snowboard i would have snowboarded. dont tell me what to do or what not to do. i dont tell you to throw down that crappy board you think youre good at and tell you to pick up skis do i? no...so dont tell us to quit skiing you lousy punk ass bitch snowboarder. thats the mentality that makes skiers better than boarders. we dont think your sport is silly and you should switch to ours, so why do you?

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #33
Coffee Grinder
Why not? You already took our clothing and freestyle tricks.

Skiers on rail slides are the equivalent of rollerbladers in the skatepark.

Flame on!
Clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #34
pointless replies

well - now that you've all started this pointless topic (ski vs. board) - i must chime in with my own pointlessness.

when this post first came up, i thought what a funny topic, and how poingent to the differences between skiing and boarding - cause i think to most snowboarders, this is sort of stupid, as i think most would agree that this board or that board or bindings or whatever don't really matter so much. There really isn't too much differce between the higher end and lower end products. Shit is so cheap these days, i usually go on the cheap, and re-gear every 2 years. When you're up on the mountain with your bro's, and people are doing their thing, it is obvious that the gear really doesn't matter very much.

However, with the skiiers, it does seem that there are more "rules" or maybe techniques is a better word.. to follow - in that skiing appears to be more technique orientated, with all those edges, poles, etc. - boarding is basically leaning one way or another. skiing looks more complicated (non-skiiers point of view). and i think this is why so many skiiers like this topic. the need to be more complient with the proper techniques makes people also be more into the proper equpiment.

boarding, who cares - lean left, lean right - find pow. go big on tables, dodge trees - etc.

anyways, that's my 2 cents. I have been very much enjoying the freestyle skiing revolution that's been going on the last few years though - it is cool to see young people enjoying skiing again. I should also point out that the skiier rippers seem to consistently go bigger on the tables and pipe than the boarders. I think i disagree with clorox - i think rollerbladers in the skate park are a much lower form of life - but then again, i'm in awe of any skiier or boarder that actually board slide a rail instead of 50/50.

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #35
Coffee Grinder
No, I definitely agree. Skiing is much more technical than boarding, and the equipment costs much more. However, when a rider gets beyond just the heel/toe edge and starts doing stuff like switch riding, buttering, presses, 270 slides, etc, then boarding can become just as technical as a skiing (IMO). At that point how light/heavy, or how stiff/flexible your equipment is (board, boots and bindings) becomes important. Having low-end bindings where the straps break or the base plates crack or warp while riding hard is not fun. Neither is cracking a cheap board while going fast.

I ride Never Summer, Libtech, Unity and Capita (fun but crappy board). The difference between the boards is huge depending on the shape and base materials used. Thing is I never have paid more than $350 for a board, and my boots have air bubbles like Nikes and weigh about a pound each.

to each their own
Clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #36
Poison Slingin'
RDNEK, how much are you asking for the 05 M7? My girlfriend wants in on some slednekin so we might be in the market. I can't wait for this season and would be stoked to go anywhere outside the wonderfull Ark valley as well. What are the best days for you all to play up north as I am starting to think about what kind of schedule I should set for myself this winter. Harvey...just tell the wife it's ok...you deserve it, you hardly have any time to play these days. Maybe if we get a big dump in Salidos we can do some sleddin on the pump track.

As for what I am ridin' on

Volkl G4 188 w/ Salomon whateevers...until the snow's deep

Volkl Karma 177 w/ Fritshi II...when the snow sucks or on large climbs

Volkl Gotoma's 183 w/ Naxo's...most of the time cuz they are the best ski's ever.

Boots will be Scarpa Tornado
chixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #37
Send a message via AIM to AdrenalineRush Send a message via Yahoo to AdrenalineRush
Right now Im on some old salomons...but since i had a small issue last year that resulted in a broken hand and cracked skull my parents think those probably need to go.
Anyone have any thoughts on Dynastarts Nothing But Troubles or Troublemakers? I know theyre technically guys skis, but I havent found a womens equivalent.
Just curious
AdrenalineRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #38
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Both are good all-around skis. The biggest factors will probably be skiing style and ability and the ski size. Women don't necessarily need women's skis. Most of the top female competitors in all disciplines ski on skis not specifically designed for women.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #39
chixon -
What do you think of the Tornados?
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #40
Oh, well the obvious answer to the original question is----------[color=darkred]SNOW!Also I will be on my
BD ethics for tele's
and my boards include:
NS titan 164,
NS legacy 163,
NS premier 169 (rocky)
Option 160,
Prior kyber split 166,
Ns legacy split (not yet purchased, but sooon)

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
ullrismyco-pilot is offline   Reply With Quote