Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

View Poll Results: BEST UTAH RESORT, based on terrain and snow conditions?
Snowbird/Alta 14 82.35%
Brighton 2 11.76%
Solitude 1 5.88%
Park City 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2006   #11
I've been in Colorado for 6 years now, I'm 35 years old, and I left the bar scene back in Vermont. I agree with the Colorado Skiing lifestyle, plenty of posers out here. Just stay away from I-70 resorts and you won't have to worry about it. Crested Butte, Wolf Creek, Monarch Pass, Berthoud Pass, Elk Range backcounty, Cochura backcountry, Silveton Mountain, anywhere in the San Juans, Cameron Pass, and even a little touring off Pikes Peak. Theres nothing trendy about those areas. Utah may have lighter snow, and phenomenal bc, but you can't deny the overall package Colorado provides. Kayaking, mountainbiking, climbing, and the proximity to the SouthWest, North into Wyoming, and yes, not far from Moab, maybe even closer to Moab from the interior of Colorado, then you would be from SLC. Anyhow, it's hard to compare the two. Utah HAS the best snow in the U.S. But if your a 23 year old ski tech, I'd put my money on Colorado.

Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #12
Utah vs. Tahoe

Ok ok, I get what you all are say about Utah and Colorado. I appreciate all the additional information. Unfortunately, Colorado is third or fourth on my list on ski areas I want to live at. Good skiing is much more important to me than good partying, I was just currious what it was like SLC. I don't necessiarly want a big party scene, in fact I don't, I like it every now and then. I'm one of the those guys that has fun at smaller gatherings with my friends than huge parties, I just want to know that I am going to be able to meet people to drink with - go out and build kickers with at any time - and other crazy out doors stuff like jumping of cliffs... haha, but seriously though. I was just worried that I would be sitting in some suburb in Utah surrounded by mormons.

Any ways, what about Utah compared to Tahoe???? What do you guys think?! Is it true that Tahoe has heavy snow? How's their backcountry? It looks pretty from the picture I've seen. What's housing like? I heard the South Shore is the place to be? I wonder if it's expensive? what's the best resort? I heard the night life pretty decent?

Thanks if you reply.

Shwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #13
3rd or 4th? We dont want you in CO anyway. One less gapper. Western Maryland has some nice hills you could build your kickers on.
shantyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #14
I'll throw in my two cents. Take it for what its worth. Lived in Utah for a season, and have been in Colorado for about thirteen. Utah has its draw backs and personally I was ready to leave at the end of the year. That being said I am glad I lived there. (Still make a couple of trips a year) The skiing in Utah is hard to impossible to beat. Jackson is obviously good, but they have a much shorter season and most seasons it is a much slower start in the snow department. I have only been to Tahoe once, but its pretty easy to say, that they do get heavier snow. From my experience and from conversations with friends that lived in Tahoe, its great skiing, great atmosphere/ party area, but snow can be very inconsistent. Some long stretches with no snow, some rain, and some of the biggest dumps imaginable. Utah overall is the most consistent snow in the lower 48. Utah has also come a long ways since I lived there. There are some cool neighborhoods in the Salt Lake area, and a lot of friends live in the Park City area, eventhough they ski Big or Little Cottonwood canyon (Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, Solitude) Overall for me Colorado is a much better lifestyle. In Salt Lake you might live in smog for weeks at a time, and if you have a dog, you can't bring it up the cottonwood canyons. Two big things, that made me move. But if I were you, I would definately check out Utah. It is hands down some of the best skiing and skiers in the country. You will find plenty of like people, and though the mormons seem to be in control, there are plenty of others in the surrounding Salt Lake area. I believe Salt Lake suburbs are 50% or less mormon. You will find plenty to do, and will experience some of the best skiing imaginable ( In and out of bounds). My advice. Go to Utah for a few years, then when your done sleeping on floors and making shitty wages, move to Colorado.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #15
hey cam-bag, you lived in LCC. How are the LDS girls?
Old 03-16-2006   #16
Shantybitch... you sound like a tool - you're not getting girls any where.
Shwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #17
Alta/Snowbird are the areas to ski at in UT because of incredible snow and great terrain. I agree that if you are looking to ski, this is skiing at its best you want to be here over colorado and jackson and california.I grew up in CO and live in SLC and every year when the snow melts I head back to CO to boat and bike in my favorite state in the union. California gets an incredible amount of snow but if often gets ruined by rain before or after a storm because the ski resorts are low elevation.Jackson has great terrain and I head up north right after or during a storm,but it is south facing and gets shitty quick from sun,they also measure their snow totals from near the top. Whereas in UT totals are at the base or midmtn and in CO from mid mtn stations.SLC has lots of weird laws but after a while you will find your way around them, you will not even think about those laws when your legs are like jello from skiing 12-24"deep snow like I did today and yesterday and the day before. The worst year in 10 in UT was 2001-2002 and the snow total was over 400 inches@8000ft. Work at Alta you will meet many like minded folks and they pay better and treat employees better than Snowbird,but get the dual alta/bird pass so you can ski/ride the bird.Girls? Go out in SLC, over 200,000 nonmormon girls live here, if you can't get laid you got less game than shantyman!
575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #18
Sorry swag. Just poking a little fun. Sometimes I dont think before I type. Good luck with your search, you'll have fun where ever you land.
Old 03-19-2006   #19
Re: UTAH!!! please help if you know anything.

Originally Posted by Shwaggin
Outside of skiing I don’t know any thing about Utah and the Salt Lake area. I basically just have general questions:

What’s the best ski resort as far as terrain and snow conditions? I’m thinking of working for Snowbird or Alta.

What are the chill areas to live, that are affordable?

Jobs? I’m a ski tech at a shop here where I live so I’m figuring I could score a job at a shop there, but I’m doubting that would give me the hours I ideally would want. Obviously, a gig that aloud me to work in the evenings would be best. You of anything?

What is Salt Lake City like? Is there a night life there, such as bars? Is it hard to meet people, particularly other skiers?

If there is anything else that you think a 23 year old right out college should know about Salt Lake, please don't hesitate to include.

That’s what I’ve got so far… I'll definitely have more questions.

Do you now about the TGR forums? Check them out and use the "Search Function" first before asking questions!

matty1971 is offline   Reply With Quote