West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
What Fry said.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #12
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Weekend warior???

Congratulations! As you ski you win... A couple of thoughts. When will be here? Weekends @ vail suck. i would think it would suck at the other easy to get to big mountains w/ cheap passes as well. Just to many people. just think you make it all the way vail it dumps 15", but wait its saturday and you have wait in line 45 minutes just to get up the vista bahn and you were there at 8:30am. then you drop in the back bowls for one killer run, spend another 30min in line get back to the top and the mountains damn near toast. Now if you were going to ski mostly during the week and not over he holidays I say go for it. Or if your in skiing corduroy and are looking for a scene I-70 skiing might be the answer.

Aspen sells the classic pass for $270 for 5 days. You will have to make it out here on the right day at the right place to get it (rei denver). however skiing @ aspen highlands and snowmass kicks ass. You'll pay out the nose to stay there and its hard to get there hence good skiing(even on weekends).

Skiing is a lot of things to a lot of people I'm sure you'll figure out. I think Im little jaded about the I-70 places because they are so busy and in my back yard. There is still plenty of good turns to be had. If it were me I'd be headed to Monarch.

Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #13
Kansas City, Missouri
Paddling Since: 1987
Hey Porkchop! Weekend Warrior is pretty accurate so far . . .

13 or 14 days was about about what I've been able to get in this year (little putt-putt place north of town here).

Out west I would (ideally) be aiming at arriving on a Saturday or Sunday and putting in four or five days each trip and (I hope) missing the worst of the crowds.

Monarch seems to come up repeatedly here, and I'm happy to deal with the relative isolation and time it would take to get there, since I've got a ways to go anyway. Any thoughts on Loveland? I was scoping it out online last night, and it looks big, cheap and convenient, though driving in and out each day would be a minor hassle.

Not looking for a scene per. se. As far as skills, I'm mostly corduroy so far, but looking to move on and learn from there.
hatrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #14
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Loveland is a good mountain. They have a variety of terrain and get lots of snow, second most in the state I believe. However, it can be brutally cold and windy.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #15
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Steamboat is where you want to be. It's ALWAYS fun snowy or dry, no matter your ability level. It's not going to tack on another 8 hours of driving once you get to the front range, but it's a little far for the front range weekend warriors except a few up in Foco. It's primarily a destination resort and gets more crowded at the obvious holiday times, but I've never experienced terrible waits in any lines. The town is great and the locals are friendly. The I-70 resorts are a within a day trip's distance without changing base camp. I never paid to ride there so I don't know how expensive it is compared to other places.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #16
Lakewood, Colorado
If you want to try Loveland, they sell four packs of tickets for around $120. You have to get them by mail or at specific events. They are proper tickets too, so you can use them all at the same time, not like a typical four pass. I like loveland, but it can be brutally cold and windy and the lifts are painfully slow.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #17
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
There's plenty of easy lodging close to Loveland. You can score cheap rooms in the Dillon area which has you going against traffic.

There's also lodging close to Monarch so don’t rule that out.

I'd suggest some 4 packs as well.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011   #18
Temple, Texas
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm a Monarch employee for the first time this season. I worked at Winter Park for two years and have skied a number of big resorts. After just one seson, I'll put up with the bigger places for a day or two throughout the year, but have fallen in love with the smaller mountain. The runs are a little shorter, but still some great terrain, and just a more chill, happier scene. Plus, with the Monarch pass, you do get 3 days at Loveland. That would give you the ability to check it out and decide for the following year.

txraftguy is offline   Reply With Quote