Old 10-10-2005   #11
Ski Instructor
Send a message via AIM to mdre21
take a lesson

All i've got to say, is take a lesson. yeah i'm a little biased being that i'm an instructor, but take a lesson, even if it's just one, and make sure it's with an instructor. but the main reasons for lessons include. 1. Safety, not to sound like a dick but i don't want someone who does not know what they are doing getting me hurt because they are out of control, not to mention themselves but i'm not gonna be happy if some one else ends my season, it could cost you your testicles or something. 2. You'll learn how to do it right and it'll be more fun. You'll still get beat up a little bit and your muscles will hurt, but it won't be anything a hot tub and a few beers can't fix. but if you just go out on your own with a friend and struggle through it, you might learn eventually but it's going to be frustrating and it won't be fun. I see it every day, some dad or boyfriend, or what ever, screaming at the person trying to learn and they are crying. Any rate i'll finish, there are plenty of deals out there as illustrated and you'll be much better off taking a lesson.

Peace Everybody, and i'll see you all on the slopes this winter

mdre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #12
I think snowboarding is best learned on a blue or steep green as it forces you to be on edge and make turns.

deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #13
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
I'll Definitely agree with that, i try telling that to every friend that i've had to help start out. Its so much harder and counter-productive to learn snowboarding on flat ground
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #14
I agree with everything said above. Especially lessons. People hate the big resorts but, and I am biased because I work at one of them, they see more begeners than anyone else. I personally have taught about a thousand level one group lessons. I am not saying my technique is the best but with that many people coming through you have a chance to see why many people fail and are able to jump in a correct the problem. The instructors at the big resorts have seen it all before and are for the most part very good at what they do. Just a thought.

Also like others said you will be able to ride the lift and get down greens your first day of skiing, but progress above that is slow.

With snowboarding the first few days are very tough and then once a few things click it becomes easier and easier.

Make sure you choose one and stick it out because when you finally brave the snowy roads for a powder day and you can do it competantly very few things in life can compare.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #15
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I had no idea Loveland was so close. Hmm. Crowded? Well who cares if I'm learning and getting a season pass.
I'm going to go with snowboarding.
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #16
Indian Hills, Colorado
The drive from c. spgs isn't too bad if you take 24 to 9 to Breckenridge. Only problem is you end up at Breckenridge.

I lived in the Springs for a few years and always enjoyed the drive through southpark to Breck, sure beats the hell out of I-70. From my perspective, consider yourself lucky.

I'd second the recomendation of lessons and plenty of time at small resorts. Monarch would be a good bet if driving from the springs.

Right on Andy, boots are the key, regardless of how you slide down the mountain.

So far as winter clothing, so long as the temp is below 30 I wear: Expedition weight Gore-Tex shell, fleece jacket, polypro long underwear on top and lightweight fleece pants under a pair of rugged snow pants. So long as there's lots of zippers for cooling off, you'll be toasty down to 0 with that getup.

Hope you take to it like a duck to water!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #17
My 2 cents is to head to a small place like Monarch for the first couple of times. The runs and lift lines are shorter which means more slope time for learning your groove, but beware: gapers abound! Texans and Okies litter the hill because it is cheaper than the mega resorts. But they serve good beer there.
Stone-Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #18
Ski Instructor
Send a message via AIM to mdre21
if skiing were easy they'd call it snowboarding.
mdre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #19
You should ski. With fat skis you can make big fast turns in the powder and still have solid contact with variable conditions such as ice, man-made, and the bullet-proof-no-snow-for-three-weeks conditions that the Summit ALWAYS gets a few times a season. Skiing is more versitile and backcountry access--if you end up like it--will be much easier. You won't have to snowshoe with skis or buy another board--split board--to run around back there. Also, you can go to Mecca--Alta.
matty1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #20
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
True on going to Alta. If for no other reason, that is a good reason.

Also, don't listen to anyone saying to wear gore-tex pants. Jeans and a Cornhuskers/Longhorns/Jay Hawks Starter jacket are the sign of a true skier. Also, don't forget your neoprene ski mask and ear muffs. Wear this ski outfit even if it is 60 degree spring skiing.

Newby, you better use a full haz-mat suit instead of a condom if you plan on hooking up with any "snowboard dudes" at Sugar Mountain/Ski Beech/Gatlinburg. You also better like real-tree and banjos.

I know, because I learned to ski there.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote