Old 10-20-2009   #11
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
well i already got the no showers thing do i need an ego to go with it or is easy going ok...i only shave once a week anyway so stopping will be i need a pack shovel probe and beacon for the bunny hill...that would be cool

NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Don't forget the team of Huskies to pull you up the hill! You know, Ski Dog Joring FTW!

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #13
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by SSOWDEN View Post
Help out buzzards, what did I miss.
The decade????

The Asolos are great boots but for performance, especially with the reinforced ankle in the Extreme Pros. But if you've got the bucks, the new "Merrill Super Comps" are what you really need.

Now for what SSOWDEN missed - the hat - it has to be the Norman Nordic type - gray wool with a Scandanavian design, with ear coverage and strings to tie it on with. Your gloves need to be ragg wool gloves or mittens with sturdy leather outers. You'll need Army surplus wool pants from Boulder Army Navy, with the big pockets on the sides for granola bars. In addition to not showering, you'll need to start working on those dredlocks. Big long dredlocks thick enough for anerobic bacteria to grow in them. You should also go vegeterian and if you have carnivorous roommates in that house you're sharing with 12 other guys and 14 dogs, you need to leave notes on their sandwich meat saying "meat is murder," "this is heinous" or other things. You'll be high powered for skinning up the hills on oatmeal, quinoa, and cabbage and don't worry, your roommates won't mind you using their seasonings and spices to make that shit edible.

And if any of your roomies are downhill skiiers, make sure to razz them about their plastic boots, plastic skis, and how anyone can ski in all that plastic gear and that even though you only get in one run a day, its out in the backcountry and in sweet waist-deep powder - sooner or later they'll come around to The Way and thank you for helping them realize the error of their plastic-loving, artificial life experience, trust me. That reminds me of the attitude you'll need: to be a true tele skiier, you'll need to have smugly self-righteous demeanor, and remember to look down your nose at the guy next to you as he steps into his downhill bindings at the lift. For that matter, you shouldn't even be riding lifts. If you REALLY want to learn to tele, you need to be out in the backcountry earning your turns. You want to be a long way away from the industrialized, mechanical, noisy, crowded clearcuts they call ski areas. If you're going to follow all this advice, you'll want to be a long, long way from where there are other people. A really long way. Please.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #14
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I thought an affinity for Patchouli was required as well?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #15
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
drop the knee not the bomb, yepaaaaa
Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #16
Ft Fun, Colorado
ok i found some scarpa t2s fit great so i picked them up...i dont know how to size up my big of a ski should i look for...bindings???i like the funny replies keep them coming but i need some advise here...i got an old pair of 184cm carvers...there pretty fat too...will these work???
Old 10-20-2009   #17
denver, Colorado
t2's are good noco, take them to a shop and get some custome insoles which I need to do. Get some adjustable poles. lots of opions and dependent on use but I feel tele skis should be little longer than your allllpines, I have the full on t2 setup with the rossi t2's to go with my scarpa t2 boots. Carvers probably not great for tele setup in that I like more flex, old bump or slalom boards work great. Lot's of newer binding technology, be sure to learn how to change out the cartridge and carry a spare one with you. Hope that helps or at least doesn't hurt.
Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #18
Ft Fun, Colorado
found an ad here for 188cm k2 ak enemy skiis with rotterfella r8 cobra 6' 185lbs...what do you guys think...this guy is asking 100 for them...they sound allittle beat but i dont really mind that being a you think that would be a good learning set up???
Old 10-20-2009   #19
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 45
All of these are great tips! My 2 cents after you got the concept down pay the money for a lesson or two it will help. Ohh so does Advil and a bottle of my favorite Tennesse whiskey!
Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #20
Aspen, Colorado
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
my advice would be get good boots. hard plastic with at least 3 buckles. the old school soft boots will require much more practice and you will go a lot slower over all.

all the new schoolers are charging with plastic boots with 4 buckles.

also get a flat tail ski. I think it will help you learn the turn, without washing out as much.

and lastly, make sure you focus on the tele turn, not the bent knee'd alpine turn.

Concentrate on dropping your weight between your legs. if you pressure the front ski and trail the back that is not a tele turn.

You will know when you bag some tele turns, you will be spent.

I was good till noon everyday for about a month until my body got used to it

good luck, its so fuckin fun, especialy in the powda!

PS 6" = faceshots on a tele ski
What he said is pretty much right. Don't weight your outside ski alpine style and lift your back heal like a fairy. The tele (not telle, telly) turn came from needing stability since the heal is not fastened. If you need an example, put one foot in front of another and bend both knees. If someone was to push you forward or backward you could resist the force. If your feet were parallel you could be easily pushed off balance. If you weight your outside ski in an alpine stance while telemarking, your only means to resist going forward is to extend a leg backwards in a balancing motion. Not to dynamic. You are better off using your muscles to resist a force than the mass of your anatomy.

Once you get the hang of it, hopefully you will return to your alpine roots. It is where all the performance lies. Thats what I did. Plus hippie tele chicks drive me nuts. They never learned to alpine and they suck at tele (usually)! You spend all day waiting.

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote