Old 09-10-2006   #11
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
The crispi model is the CXP, I switched from garmont ago and haven't looked back. Tighter heal pocket and wider forfoot is crispi's deal.

As recomended above go to a good bootfitter and if they don't shell fit you then don't buy from them.

Our friends down at confluence kayaks sell tele boots as well.

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #12
student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
I was a ski boot/tele boot fitter for a number of years, in Utah and up in Vail. I've tele'd for 7years now and also came from an alpine and boarding background.
Everyone here has hit the nail on the head. I'd go with whatever boot fit's the shape of your foot, but a beefier one made for the resort, cuz that's where you're gonna spend most of your time in the beginning. The shell fit is super important -one to one and a half fingers behind the heel when your toes are lightly touching the front of the shell in a thin sock..any more than that and you'll be swimmin' in the boot after a few days of skiing in it after the liners break in. Speaking of that, in a properly fit boot, the liners should feel almost uncomfortably tight when your getting them heated and fitted, so don't be alarmed. they will get roomier. Make sure the shop heat molds you too. If they can't or won't, go somewhere else.

I'd also look for a wider ski than you think in the beginning too.. it'll help you exponentially in the pow and crud. -at least 80+mm under the foot

Eventually, if you want the goods.. you'll be lookin' for ski's over 95mm wide.. cuz fat is where it's at baby!!

chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #13
student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
Oh.. and btw... welcome back from the darkside willieboater..
chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #14
I'd agree go with whatever brand fits best I've been sizing/selling boots for a little while now and disagree about the magic of termofit, yes they are great but I still can't wear scarpas even with the thermofit because their boots don't accomadate my feet, and I've sold many scarpas to people who garmont doesn't work for. I also would agree that you should get a beefier four buckled boot as you will be in the resort most of the time it sounds, and realisticaly since they're all tele boots they're all desinged to tour. True a bigger boot may weigh a little more but it'll be more fun on the downhill as well and unless you're going for huge vert or long traverses we all know it's about the downhill, not the uphill.
couloircat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #15
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the information! Y'all have given me more insight on what to look for and expect from boots. And thanks for the information about boot fitters, I'll be taking extra time and care to make sure I get some good boots.
willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #16
Nobody has mentioned that the boot/binding combo is important. G3 binders are really not active enouch to bend a T1 bellows. It really just bends the duckbill. Look into a binding that is well suited for the boot. I switched to Hammerheads from G3 and everything changed.

soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote