Old 02-06-2013   #21
Louisville, Colorado
Just waiting for the buzzards to start circling on what knee pads are good for....

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #22
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I hope you aren't too proud to fall (in soft snow, not groomers), it's part of the fun!
My dad and grandpops always said..."if you're not falling you're not getting any better". Live by it and I will raise my boy on the slopes the same way.

Falling is fun!! Although a little more painful these days....

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #23
basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
crispies are awsome boots, i've skied and skinned mine hard for 5 years and they are still fine, I have a normal to narrow foot, second on the 4 buckle for sure, and the bd kneepads are great, especially for giving thanks to your friends for waiting for you all day while you pretend you can keep up... trying to get the ball rolling here catwoman
T-Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #24
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I love my crispi cxr's I have a wide foot and they are comfortable. I came from straight boards, volle releasible bindings, and merell super comps, now I have work stinks,G3's, and crispis, I cam keep up with most people. the draw back on the crispis that i have seen and heard from noumerous people is the toe cracks on them, I have been skiing mine with the crack for two years with no problems. My knees love that I switched to tele, after a day on alpines my knees are killing me, after a day snowboarding my knees hurt, after a day of tele my muscles are jello but my knees feel awesome. If you plan on going with the G3 bindings make sure to get the heavy springs.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #25
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

I have a buddy who has the cracked Crispi toe, that uses Gorilla tape on. He wants to buy another pair, but finding them hard to find. Do yo know where to get them?
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #26
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Not any more alpine quest stopped carring them two plus years ago. there was a shop in glenwood thad carried them last year but can't remember the name, not sure if they still carry them.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #27
Golden, Colorado
I was in the same spot as you when I switched to tele. I got to the point where challenging myself on alpine gear any further usually meant bodily injury. You can only keep going faster and bigger up to a point as you get older. So if that is what you are looking for, tele is a great option. You'll be challenged again on terrain that bored you on alpine gear. Bump runs will become fluid and fun rather than bone-jarring. You'll be in more pain at the end of the day, but it's a good muscle sore pain, not a knee and back pain like you probably feel from alpine skiing.

Forget AT. It's the same as alpine except on flimsier, more expensive gear. AT is only useful if you're skinning to extreme terrain where you don't feel comfortable on tele gear.

I would highly recommend demoing NTN gear. As you can probably gather from the comments here, many people hate it and many people love it. I love it. I disagree with the people that say NTN is so stiff it defeats the purpose for teleing. My Scarpa TX Pro boots are WAY softer than most of the boots people tele on nowadays. I found the NTN system to be a softer flexing system than say an AXL or Hammerhead but with way more lateral stability and edge hold. It seems to me that long-time tele skiers don't like the feel of NTN or it takes them a long time to get use to it. Whereas ex-alpine skiers love the edge grip that the NTN provides that they felt was missing from standard tele set-ups.To get that edge grip back, people would go with super stiff boots and bindings. But to me, that defeats the purpose of teleing. If I want stiff, I'll step into my alpine gear. NTN provides a nice soft forward flex while giving superior edge grip.

Teleing is the best for skiing with kids. Easy mobility and comfy boots. Plus when you are learning to tele, you are not getting bored waiting around for slower skiers.

While people here are saying that Scarpa boots are for narrow feet and Garmonts are for wide feet, that does not appear to be true for Scarpa's NTN boots. When I was on traditional tele gear, I skied Garmonts due to my wide feet. But when I switched to NTN, I found the Scarpa NTN boots to be more comfortable than the Garmonts.

Keep your alpine gear. No matter how fun teleing is, after alpining for 30 years, you'll occasionally feel the need for speed.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #28
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
Whatever you do, don't buy an old Asolo leather or 3 buckle boot and G3 cable bindings
Hey, I like my 3-buckle T2's and my G3 cables!! They're mucho better-o than my T1's and Rivas!

Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
Look for hammerhead bindings. I had g3s on my first pair, and when I switched to hammerheads I improved instantly.
Hmmm..I might have to go shopping.

Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
By the way, skiing bumps on tele is really, really, fun and much less jarring to knees and backs than bumping on alpine skis (in my opinion).

Wearing teles while teaching a little kid to ski is great. You have much more mobility and can get down on kid level with ease.
I started Tele'ing 10 years ago, and I agree 1,000,000x on both of these points. Your kid is learning, you may as well be learning as well. You can also skate uphill much easier on the rare occasions you get downhill of your guy and he falls down uphill of you. You end up spending a lot of time on freeheel skis, which helps contribute to your overall balance.

Like you, I was pushing myself harder and faster, and I didn't fall very often, but when I did, I hurt bad. I fell A LOT my first few years of tele; now I only fall occasionally, and the falls don't hurt as bad.

You can have your own legitimate falls to show your son that falling is a part of learning. I'm really, really glad I was learning while my daughter was learning. It made the time on the green slopes a lot of fun for both of us.

Also check out Allen and Mike's Really Cool Telemark Tips book. Buy a copy and put it on the toilet tank and read one tip a day. I used to take my daughter out on a pulk and make single turn laps on the hill in the park behind our house.

Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
I should mention...I'm not interested in getting into tele's purely to skin and get to the back country more easily. Sure, that'll be awesome and I'm looking forward to BC experience has been cat trips, etc...I'm more motivated by the style!!

I've done just about everything I've wanted to do on ski's....there's not much else for me, and I'm not to proud to admit that my best bump and jump days are behind it's time to really get into this.
Absolutely. Learning "the turn" has made blue runs fun again. Now that I'm rippin the black diamonds (granted, they're the equivalent of a solid class III whitewater run), it's fun to be "the old guy" on the chairlift.

Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
Maybe you want to get a whitewater canoe while your at it too!

Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
some plastic cap knee pads can be handy if you start getting into bumps. ski fast take chances.
I definitely agree on the knee pads. They also keep your "getting older" knees warm.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #29
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
Porkchop mentions a very importnat piece of equipment. Knee pads - everyday. When you fall, it is possible for the knee to come down on the edge of ski. I have known people who have broken the patella, been cut, or badly bruised. Black diamond knee pads are by far the best I have tried. Knee pads are also great for kneeling in the snow while helping the kid.
X2 Black Diamond knee pads are worth it. I hit my knee on a tree stump when making some deep tele turns in the trees on a powder day a couple years ago. Sent me flying, and took my knee 2 weeks to recover..... luckily I don't think I did permanent damage. Now I wear knee pads, definitely a necessity.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #30
Well, you've got a ton of advice and ideas here. Agree with a lot of what folks are saying, and since there is a ton to wade through here, I'll offer some priorities:

Boots are the top priority - you are right about that. Stiffer is better these days, including for beginners. Softer boots were for a time when tele turns went way low - most people don't do that any more. If you want to go fast, power through crud, and carve groomers, get stiff boots. People have listed plenty of brand options - just get what fits. You can find good ones used too. Just make sure they are stiff, BUT you do need to be able to flex the bellows.

Bindings are the next priority - just make sure they are active, meaning that they are not just cables. As with boots, burlier is better, even for (especially for) beginners. You might as well get one that has a good touring mode. 01s are good. I've heard the Axl is good. There are others.

Skis - you're thinking is right, you can wing it on about anything to get started. But before long you'll want something decent (used or new). Just as in alpine, bigger is generally better - even on hard snow (but makes bumps tough, oh well). Something between 105 and 115 underfoot is good for a one quiver ski. Again, basically like alpine.

Clark is offline   Reply With Quote