Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 12-13-2009   #31
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Sometimes conversations are just about topics, not personal attacks. But I should have known better than to think a thread might stick to its title or just want to hear a relative insiders information on it.

Anyway, enjoy the snow.

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #32
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
This isn't a personal attack. This is a discussion about an important topic. I am not angry at you or your business. I am not suggesting that people stop going to your business, I hope your business flourishes. I also hope that you change your point of view on this issue.

The line of defense that it is going on everywhere or that it is a prevalent practice is a faulty defense. Large numbers of people behaving unethically are still behaving unethically. When people loot during a riot it is still looting even if lots of other people are doing it.

You say that you aren't to blame in part because you have never exercised your 'power' to get an article pulled. I say the fact that you believe you have or should be entitled to such a 'power' is a problem. I also agree that if the Summit Daily news became the Summit Daily Advertiser that it would solve the problem.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #33
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by eklars View Post
Mainly I like free stuff and kickbacks when it comes to my ad contracts, I'm not much for actual ass kissing.
You, or other advertisers are paying for this "free" stuff and kickbacks. It is not free. Just like "points" and "miles" aren't free for people with those kinds of credit cards, which you know if you process credit cards. The merchants pay for those "free" thing the consumers get. "Free" isn't so good when you're paying for it, and someone else is getting the kickback. This could eventually happen with your advertising dollar, when the people you pay for advertising decide other customers are more worthy of the free stuff and kickbacks.

It's funny you use the word kickbacks, which really is based in corruption.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009   #34
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985

Elkars comments seem pretty realistic. You aren't going to make it in a small town if you take on the local establishment constantly as a news organization. I think you would have to pick your battles. The article here doesn't seem to take on the companies. Basically, wouldn't it be better to report overhnight snow and then the 24 hour total. I think every one of us would agree that would be a cool idea. Frankly I think there is a whole lot more to the story than the blast in the Denver Post. If that article got him fired, then vail resorts does deserve to be slapped. I just can't see the CEO or marketing department of a resort having the time to pick up the phone over that article.

Elkars, trying to have a rationale debate here is difficult at best. Thanks for sharing some facts.

Thank God for the 2-3' we got this weekend. Come out to Utah, it is sweet right now!!

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote