Old 01-23-2007   #11
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Stone creek is open, it is a little bony in spots, but normally just in the entrances where the knuck knucks slide all of the snow off. There are many pockets of great snow in there still, but you have to know where they are. avoid first and second chance, and chute 44 they get too much traffic. go for committed or baby aspen, pine island one of those. when we get another storm hit it up and le tthe hucking begin!

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #12
Stone Creek

Today I hit up the Stone Creek Chutes for the first time since it has been open to the public. I was suprised how carved out it was, but it was actually pretty nice. I liked it better when it wasn't open as a run, but its ok fighting the crowds. All the chutes are pretty nice, yet a little bit tight. If your going for the first time and want to try it out, i suggest that you go to the first gate off Red Buffalo, and ski down to "No Chance" after 1st chance and half chance. Ski down to the ledge and find a spot to drop in. Its nice right here, and for the first timers, its not that steep and pretty open. This is probably one of the easiest runs of the entire Stone Creeks, and gives great views. If your pro at this stuff, hit up the very first run into the gate, and you'll like the steepness and tightness of the trees and challenge, and thats a nice run too. If you go all the way down, towards the second entrance and to the left, there are some nice semi-open tree runs. The only thing i don't like now its that its pretty carved out from the crowds, it was better when it was just ducking the ropes, but its still nice.

epaulson is offline   Reply With Quote