Old 12-04-2008   #21
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I agree with you. . . when I'm on my board in some sick pow there is no place I'd rather be. Fortunately I feel the same way on my skis. Its fun to be able to bounce around from the two "modalities" and know you can rip the same lines either way. Snowboarding has allowed me to see the hill differently. Instead of rippin the fall line you can sorta play with it more. The new wide skis (95mm and up) really allow for big carves and speed just like a board.

In order to be relevant, I guess I should address the topic. Snowshoeing definately limits your day to modest ascents, so splitting is the way to go if your deadset on riding. Voile makes a good product as I'm sure some of the other compainies do. I wouldn't mind having one for nice weather days when I don't have to be out of my gloves for 7 minutes smutzin with ice and metal. It's always a little hard and pretty painful watching your friends struggle with the transformation. Most you folk who have good equipment and experience can do it pretty quick though.

Here's my perfect world: Sledding and snowboarding go together well. They are both kinda redneck and fun as hell. You get lots of vert with no touring. Of course sleds are dirty as hell and breakdown all the time so sometimes you gotta resort to car shuttling, the resorts or "earnin the turnin". I guess what I'm sayin is that instead of wasting precious energy on always having to ride, give skiing a shot. It's fun. You'll see parts of the hill that you may have never seen.

I Still hate skiers though

Originally Posted by krashhadley View Post
Sure AT skiing is sick, but even the efficiency can't beat sweet pow turns on a board.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #22
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
For the record I am in fact trying to learn to tele, I did pretty good last season on blues, but I still can't ride powder on them. i skied for a long time, but when I discovered snowboarding my whole perspective on life changed, I felt like I was home. So I ride, a lot. It's why I work for hardly any pay. I don't get paid so much in dollars as in pow lines. At least that was the case last year.

Anyway, here's a pic of my board now. I'm committed, I have to buy the split kit or I just ruined my best pow board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splitboardsplit.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	909  

life is too important to be taken seriously
krashhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #23
Sweet. Did you split it just to the side of the center inserts? It looks like it in the pic.
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #24
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We actually cut right through the center inserts, you just have to go slow with a good sharp blade. It is slightly off center, but we're talkin millmeters here so I'd say it turned out pretty good. one side is at a slight angle in the pic making the other one look a little wider
life is too important to be taken seriously
krashhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #25
Glad it worked out. I have always been curious about ripping a Burton. You'll love it.
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #26
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
ive never skiied and i agree with krashhadley. surfing the white wave....
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #27
East Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
krashhadley you should go to and check out the split your own board video they stole from Sports Illustrated or somewhere. It's relatively short but you might glean some info from it. The Voile pop pin poles have worked pretty well for me and they're relatively cheap too.

rm&p is offline   Reply With Quote