Old 01-14-2009   #1
saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
Snowmobiles on Berthoud

Are you kidding me? I was skinning up a nice trail at 2nd creek tuesday, just lookin to lap the g-spot a few times, when a distinct rumble was heard in the distance. I thought there is no way anyone with a sled is going to come up here. Sure enough the noise kept getting closer and louder until they were right on me... using my skin track. What was that thread about hikers using skin tracks... how about sleds?

2 youts all decked out with their skis strapped to the sides sledding in 2nd creek drainage. In the 15 years or so I've been playing up there this is the first time I've come across this and I'm sure with the popularity and easy access of the Berthoud Sidecountry -doesn't really qualify as back-country huh- it won't be the last.

A little upset with the scene we (a buddy of mine and myself) decided to throw a few snowballs at the guys to get their attention. Sure enough after being pelted a few times they got the picture and stopped... of course yelling and screaming ready to scrap. "What the fuck?" they ask. We tell them as polite as we can that sleds aren't allowed where they are. They actually argue with us and say they saw no signs where they parked just up top. So the assumed that since the only No Sleds signs are on top they were fine.

We ask them where they are from and how often they get out here. Of course they stalled and tried changing the subject so we kept on them wanting to know where they were from. "Colorado" they said. We started laughing and asked them where that was. "No really" my buddy asked "where you guys from?". Finally they replied... "Denver" and this was their first time on Berthoud.

rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #2
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Sleds can be on the west side of the pass. No they can not start at the pull over they have to start out by the mine and take one very nasty trail up there. That is why you will very seldom see sleds up there. You should have told them to go down to rollins pass that is a funn area not to far away. But nice job making them back down

dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #3
On the westside? Not within several miles of the highway they can't.

Every now and then someone will stray from the forest trails by Vasquez over the top of the ridge and into Second Creek, but to climb up from US40? That's just inane. And very illlegal.

If you ever see this going on, please get a registration or license plate number (or better yet a photo including the number) and forward it on to me at and we'll notify the appropriate authorities.

Also, to clarify: there is limited snowmobile access allowed for Qwest and certain govt agencies to climb the road to the top of Mines Peak to service the towers up there. They aren't allowed to roar up the ski run from the parking lot, even though they sometimes do.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #4
Fraser, Colorado
Shoot first, ask where they're from later.
widewhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #5
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote