Old 10-16-2004   #11
I think I need some inspiration to look into a sled. Any current owners want to inspire me? I will try to make myself maximally available schedule-wise for inspiration...just let me know when and where... Then, I'll try to return the favor as I inspire with how much fun I have skiing untracked. Let me know.

spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004   #12
Is there any good sled skiing to be found on Independence pass? I've never been over it. When we drove from BV to CB this summer it looked like Cottonwood pass would have some great skiing. I have only done a little bit of sled skiing on Hoosier pass on a friends snowmobile, but everytime I go over a pass in my car I think about getting my own snowmobile for this very purpose. How long does it take you from BV to get to where you ski?

On a different note has anyone ever paddled cottonwood creek? It looked like alot of bridges were over it, but it looked like in a good snow year it would have plenty of water. I know wrong forum and season, but I figured some of you guys might know.

lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004   #13
The next zone, .
Cottonwood pass has better access than Independence pass – My experience of Indy pass is tons of avalanche paths with a relatively small amount of rideable area. The pass over cottonwood is groomed at least 2x a week so getting to the goods up there is much easier. The only problem with the wood is all the sledneckers that get up there and track much of it out (only on the weekends is this a issue). I hope that this helps you out. As far as time from BV – the trailhead at Denny Creek is about 15 min from town and another 15 min on a sled will get you to the top-o-the pass and the goods. Last year I lived at Cottonwood Hot Springs so it was less than 10 min to the trailhead. If you go up to Cottonwood Pass it is great to hit the springs 10 min after the end of the day.

As far as I think that is middle cottonwood creek – I have paddled some just above the Denny Creek trailhead and it is a very short 3+ log chocked section followed by a gorge that may be marginally runable 5++, if someone got in there and cut out the 100 or so logs jamming it up – way to much work for me – maybe someday I will get enough time to get in there and try to clean it up – a couple of guys could do it in a weekend.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004   #14
Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

Long time no chat, give me a shout this winter to do some BC. ~Jamie
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro" -HST
PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #15
Thanks for the response rdnck. Are you the same person I talked to a couple of days ago about renting some snowmobiles to go skiing up there?
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #16
A-Town!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #17
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
linkage to a shweet little Steamboat movie page, be sure to watch the whole thing

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote