Old 04-03-2009   #11
its april put the skis away and lets go boating

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
its april put the skis away and lets go boating
The local hill has recieved over 60" in the last couple of weeks - and the local river is only running 170 cfs @ #'s. You got water in the Poudre? I didn't think so, New Mexico is in the very near future, and I got some good Colorado paddling in Feb. and March. In case you haven't looked outside lately - it's winter again.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009   #13
backcountry ski bum
Why not do both? May and June is my favorite time for ski mountaineering as well as prime boating. Since you have to get a dawn start for the climb and typically be skiing down by 10-11 or so, that leaves plenty of time to get on the water.

Works for me
stillkicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #14
basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
Castle peak is good one to hit up. Fairly easy route finding. Although I've had it whoomph big time on me. I would suggest some mountaineering skills. There are a couple of line from the summit but it is usually real thin. There are a lot of good lines in the area there. I have had a wet slide go on me there though. Nothing to bad but have a good head summit early.
caliclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #15
ftc, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Brian, if my boating buddy wasnt so preocupied with law school that he cant run anything until mid may (thats right im talking about you) than maybe you would be right. But right now its full on winter anyways and Im enjoying watching that joe wright sensor keep jumping up. Lmyers I got youre info and ill contact you in a couple weeks or so, all this new snow and the crazy temps just arent giving me major confidence in the current conditions.
chasingh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Cross Couloir on the Mount of the Holy Cross and Bell Chord Couloir on between the Maroon Bells both offer big, steep lines without any mountaineering requirements, although I'd advise crampons and an ice axe for both. Camp at the base and climb the couloir at dawn in both cases, so you can check the snow conditions and bail down if it's warming up faster than you're getting to the top.
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #17
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Its not a 14er, but Grizzly Peak off Independence Pass is very close at 13,900+ and the Grizzly Couloir is one of the best steep ski lines i've done.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #18
basalt, Colorado
Grizzly is a good one. When Independence opens there are a lot of lines with minimal hiking.
Old 04-10-2009   #19
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Chasingh20, I do not know what your comfort level is on the steeps, but many of the ski lines listed have proven fatal, more often than not with climbers. As soon as an axe and crampons are necessary, I consider it mountaineering, which is what you did not want to deal with. Something to consider.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #20
basalt, Colorado
Very good point. There is some definate mountaineering skills needed on alot of those lines. Although not super sustained but necessary.