Old 01-06-2009   #11
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
P.S. I had a private client, a kid about 7 years old (as a ski instructor) who dropped a glove at Beaver Creek right when the lift was coming, turned around to pick it up, and the chair took off with him hanging form the seat part holding on. I was scared shitless, but got him reeled back up after ditching my poles. We were at full lift tower height. Some people at the top were like "nice save dude!"

It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #12
sheesh..didint anybody think of wrapping the guy up in a towell or somthing?..

Hydroholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #13
Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007

Originally Posted by Hydroholic View Post
sheesh..didint anybody think of wrapping the guy up in a towell or somthing?..

Why??? He deserves the walk of shame (or the hang of shame, whatever you want to call it)!! When a friend and I saved a tuber out of eleven mile canyon, he lost his shorts while he was pinned. After pulling him out, we made him walk down the dirt road naked until one of his friends gave him a tube to cover up with to get to the car!! They were irresponsible teenagers anyways, trying to tube class III/-IV water with no PFD or safety set up.

The pictures of the guy at Vail are hilarious!! Nice job getting that on film!!! Those pictures made our work day that much better today after seeing those!!! Ha Haaa!!!
islandertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #14
Looks like it made the news There's even a link to the Smoking Gun with even more hilarious photos.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #15
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
It's also on countdown with keith olberman on msnbc. Congrats dude, you made national news!
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #16
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Skier Suffers Exposure - January 6, 2009

Actually, in one of the pix, you can see a lump that looks like his junk. The chair was left folded up as he loaded, or so it is reported, and he slipped through the frame and was left hanging by one ski. Not your average Gaper maneuver.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #17
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Hmmm....lets see here.....he's probably gonna sue a multitude of peeps. Just the nature of the beast these days. I think it's friggen hilarious, those pictures totally made my day!!!

He probably has a long list of peeps to sue, but the most obvious are:

1.) The rental outfit that he got his ski's from. Chances are he marked "type I"....meaning the bindings should have released and set his naked ass free into the drifts below (probably would have sued for frost bite to his junk after landing and submerged in a drift for a bit because they didn't keep the landing zone "drift free").

2.) The obvious...Vail and associates. Because they don't have anything listed on the back of the ticket stating...."if your dumbass can't get on the chair that's moving at a snails pace and you happen to fall from the lift exposing your junk, we can't be held responsible".

Personal accountability is dead.......SOOOMEBODY has to be at fault.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #18
Wouldn't you notice if the chair seat was up before you sat down? Slide out of the gate, turn around...oh shit, abort abort.

Since we're on the topic of lift bloopers. I was riding with a friend who was wearing a pack one day at Keystone. We get to the top and both start sliding down the ramp when he suddenly disappears out of the corner of my eye. I turn to see him getting drug back around by a strap on his pack. We couldn't stop laughing. Even the lift op thought it was hilarious.

I bet the pantless skier would get so much more respect if he could view the situation with some humor. Granted, if it were me I'd still be asking for a bunch of free shit from Vail (season passes for life, free parking, free lessons for my family), but if you sue it just makes you look like an ass. Self-humility builds character.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #19
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
huff post picked it up....
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #20
C. Springs, Colorado
Wait and see......they will make all the seats stay in the down and locked position from now on because of this guy and his BS way of wanting something for nothing.

They should piss test this guy and see what he was on. It's hard to imagine doing this without a complete lack of attention.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote