Old 10-16-2006   #1
Should i consider loveland?

Some of you might of heard my story, I have been planning a trip to colorado in january, and I am quite exited about it, since I have ridden all my life on the east coast. I am still trying to figure out wich 2 resorts to go to for a fact I am going to go to Vail, heard to much about it to let it pass by. I am still triyng to decide on my second resort. I am intermiate level i guess, got some balls but still not quite an expert, not to familiar with steep since the east coast dosent host to many of them. althought i am not sure what you guys consider steep. Anyway i thought of going to breck, but gave it away doue to crouds, a-basin is kind of small, and in comparison, plus i want big resorts, since never been in them considering the east coast. So I am left with maybe repeting vail, or going to keystone, beaver, copper or maybe loveland, the reason why I ask about love land is because a brochure came to my house, and the resort seems kind of nice, o BTW I live in florida, this tri is really expensive so i have to take everything good out of it, I only have 2 days to ski, the other days got to go to a family reunion. thanks for the help

P.S. dont base your judments on parks, I enjoy them but not to crazy about them. Its going to be the first week of january on thurday and friday.

fet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

As its been said, the time you'll be out here will not be crowded, expecially during the week.

Loveland is a great ski area. Its got some steep runs, good bowl skiing, could have some awesome powder if the weather treats you right.

We don't consider a run steep unless you can reach our and touch the slope, but all the areas will have good intermediate terrain and lots of it. If you're going to Vail, then I'd recommend Loveland or A-Basin as a good example of a smaller ski area to juxtapose with the Vail mega-resort experience.

Have fun on the slopes!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #3
Boulder, Colorado

Keep your eye on the snow reports and the weather, Abasin and Loveland are great local venues you should check one of them out, but Vail is awsome, start training and get your legs ready, we got em as steep as you want them..

Have a great time!!

DGDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #4
thanks for the training part, last time I was really sore, and only having 2 days that is a big deal, ill make sure to be prepared. thanks for reminding me
fet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #5
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Getting in shape is big, loveland and the basin top out above 13000 so easterners typically have a hard time up there. Vail is considerably lower in altitude, but its so big you'll want to put in a fully. Anyway, Keystone is great if you don't want the craziness of Breck, usually good snow in the trees and lines are never too long, high altitude and conditions at the basin or loveland, could be a deterrent if your not to hip with altitude. If you love Vail, try Beaver Creek or Steamboat the next day. Big fun resorts with everything to offer. Either way, any of these places will blow the east coast out!!! Plus early Jan mid week is a great time to be here, no crowds, great snow, keep your fingers crossed, and usually good weather. Party scene is probably Vail, get yourself one of those smoking cougars and have a ball. Well good luck.

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #6
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by DGDenver
but Vail is awsome, start training and get your legs ready, we got em as steep as you want them..

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.....ha ha ha....sorry.

vail wouldnt know steep if it bit them in the ass.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #7
Loveland isn't a "resort", it's a day skiing kind of area. If ABasin is too small for you, then don't bother with Loveland, it's a little bigger but they're certainly in the same category.

That having been said, Loveland doesn't have crowds, and usually has good snow, and certainly has fun terrain.
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #8
Send a message via AIM to AdrenalineRush Send a message via Yahoo to AdrenalineRush
CO skiing/riding

I've lived here all my life and (sadly) have not yet ben to a-basin. however, they supposedly have snow all year round ( good it is idk) but my personal favs are steamboat and copper. copper has really nice wide runs and fabulous bowls, and steamboat is just all around good.
loveland has some nice stuff, when we went if was dumping powder; you could do the same run 3 times in a row and not be able to see your tracks from the previous one, it was amazing.
hope it helps.
There's a thin line between passion and obsession...I live it
AdrenalineRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #9
Salida, Colorado

You're based in the Front range? Heck yeah Lovelands great and close.
A-Basin and Winter Park are next. Vail is a 2 hour drive and super busy on a weekend. Skii weekdayz if you can.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #10
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Check out Steamboat. Eventhough its pricey, its well worth it. Great reliable snow in January. Plus its a friendly out of the way town.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote