Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 11-04-2009   #21
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
Totally lame, I agree. Kayaking and canoeing top athletes have no where near the support, media, fans, and money behind them, thank god, otherwise we would have Shawn Whites to deal with in our sport too.
I disagree - the douchiest red bull athelete possibly ever is a kayaker.

Tao Berman - douchebag extraordinaire!

Izza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #22
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Pretty damn cool

I hope he is learning a ton of new tricks that will allow him to put up a gold.

Seriously, Who cares what someone is doing in the middle of a run out. His and his sponsor’s money. If I liked to ride in the pipe I would be envious! I like this alot more then the Olympic team closing a run through the middle of a resort to train. I hope the whole team is doing something similar.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #23
I think its pretty cool, Why not? Look at all the people involved, from truck drivers to cat drivers, photographers, the whole entourage probably spent some serious coin in Colorado, and created jobs... all for a kid to snowboard. A little excessive, I agree, but shit its better than Red-bull announcing lay-offs and cut backs.

I think redbull has done nothing but help extreme sports. I think its cool that someone can become a mega millionaire by skate boarding and snowboarding.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #24
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
you expect me to believe that little jibber spent more than a couple of afternoons up there for a photo shoot. training for "the gold" by himself.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #25
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
silverton 2 years ago = unique, badass, hardcore, unconventional, humble
silverton now = bill-board, playground for the famous, sold-out!
Wow! That's a bold statement coming out of the Vail valley.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #26
Wolcott, Colorado
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post
Wow! That's a bold statement coming out of the Vail valley.
But he lives in Eagypt......
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #27
Durango, Colorado
I know there were a few Durango kids that went up and poached it... easy 45 minute hike on a groomed road.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #28
Eagle, Colorado
I just sayn that i thought silverton had something super special and now i'm not so sure. I know they have to pay the bills and i'm sure some folks are waving some big bucks in there face. I just hope they keep their focus on being a "hardcore" resort. I know well the effects of corporate resorts on their surrounding communities. I don't really think silverton has sold out yet but i think it could happen.
Old 11-05-2009   #29
Eagle, Colorado
oh, and its really the eagle valley as there is no vail river.
Old 11-05-2009   #30
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Big F'ing Deal. Good for him. Its not like he's the only person on the planet that has built a private training ground. Several of the top moto guys have private courses. Top skateboard professionals have monster ramps for personal training. If you are gonna launch 20 ft in the air, you need a place to practice.

The difference with a monster half pipe is unless you build the worlds largest freezer, you are relying on mother nature for your building materials (snow) which means elevation, snowfall, and gradient for the pipe.

In general I think folks that get really upset about this kind of stuff are generally simply jealous.

As for silverton selling out... gimme a break. Nobody runs a resort just for cool points, its a business, and somebody has to pay the bills. A partnership with one of the most notable snow sports athletes and an olympic gold medalist is a no brainer.

If I had a bazillion dollars, after I cured world hunger, solved global warming, and brought peace to the earth you can be damn sure I'd have a personal heli ski chalet, and I'd build my own personal personal man made whitewater creek... it would be a full scale replica of OBJ, embudo, and the big south, back to back with no flatwater.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote