Mountain Buzz banner

Scarpa T2 vs T3?

14K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Snowhere 
#1 ·
I am an agressive downhill skier wanting to try tele. I am only 110 lbs, and was completely unable to bend the garmont demos I've rented. They were way too wide too. I'm thinking of the T3 since is is a soft boot, but they list these as touring boots and I just ski downhill. Advise?

Thanks!

#2 ·
T1's all the way

If you are an aggressive skier, you will want T1's. I am a smaller person too, but I do weigh more then you. I have probably gained 15 pounds in the last 15 years, so I am 140lb now. I just replaced my old worn out T1's with their new 4 buckle boot and they are definitely the ticket. The new ones are wider then the older ones, but the top still fits the same. I have no problem touring or climbing with them, I just keep the buckles loose for the uphill stuff.

If you are not sure, try both T1's and T2's on with skis and see how they flex.

#6 ·
Do not buy the T3.....it was made for the transition from leather boots (12-13 years ago)....they are useless now. Some folks in vermont still use them for cruising around golf courses.

I'm with Snowhere- T1s are your best option for all around boot, the new beefed up T2 being the softest boot you should even think about.

I've used many different models (multiple leather boots (Asolo, Merrell super Comps), T2, T1, T-race)

#11 ·
I hit the backcountry 3 or 4 times a year, but mostly ski resorts- and I love my T1s. Even if we are touring or doing a hut trip with 50 pounds on my back, I like having the stability of the T1 when the fun starts.
If you are in Denver, Confluence is a good bet but the guys at Bent Gate out here in Golden will really set you up nice. At any rate, just like with alpine boots, it definitely pays to spend some money at a good shop with people that know their shit.

#12 ·
mmm...peppermint schnapps was hitting the mark at the hut on Christmas! I think after learning on floppy leathers, camber-and-a-half stick straight Tuas I can make T3S work great for me in the backcountry. But, I am old, and old school. I think Snowhere wants to stomp the resort and should considering nothing less than T2 or similar (with thermofit liners of course). Back to the peppermint schnapps and hot chocolate, because it is good at home too.:mrgreen:

#13 ·
I always liked a 'Black Forest'. It's hot chocolate with Triple Sec, Chambord, and Creme de cocoa, yummmmm.:mrgreen:

I use the same boot for skin trips as for the resort. I like having the stiffer T1's for the downhills as they handle tackling steep, wind blown, icy, you know, random backcountry conditions in stride. I have done 2 backcountry trips in the past week and I just buckle loosely for the uphill, and then tighten down for the downhill. I also loosen my bindings if I have miles of skinning to do. Like most things in life, everyone is different. What works for me may not work for you. But the OP asked for some opinions and got what he was looking for. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.