Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 11-16-2009   #11
Whistler, B.C.
2 San Juans

Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
I was pretty dissappointed with our trip with San Juan snowcats. They definitely weren't trying to get in as many good runs as possible. And they weren't trying to get us the best snow possible. They seemed to be just trying to get the day over with. And it wasn't entirely for lack of good snow. When we finally convinced them to take us over to a tree run on the other side of the basin it was great, unfortunately it was the last run of the day. But the majority of the terrain was pretty tame and the snow was windpacked and sunbaked. It must just be that area because the next day at nearby Wolf Creek was epic.

Haven't been to Silverton but I've heard it was great. I would try that or give one of the other snowcat operations recommended a shot.
Don't get San Juan Snowcat mixed up with the San Juan Ski Company. San Juan Snowcat operates out of Creede and the San Juan Ski Company is based out of Purgatory. San Juan Ski Company has so much terrain, you could ski there all week and never ski the same run twice. Those guys have some of the best steep tree skiing anywhere bar none.

Benny123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #12
San Juan Snowcat

If you are in the area San Juan Snowcat (in Creede) is still in business and we are gearing up for the season as I type. We should start boot packing sometime around the beginning of December or as soon as the snow is deep enough to play in. If anyone has any questions about our terrain or operation PM me. Also here are a few pics from last year (San Juan Snowcat 2009 Photos), the snow was thin for the San Juans but we still had fun

panaboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #13
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988

[Im pretty sure I used my legs skiing powder all day. Since I am not poor, I don't have the same concerns.

QUOTE=purpleyak;165864]Use your legs and spend your money on beer....[/QUOTE]

jonpowder is offline   Reply With Quote