Old 12-09-2011   #11
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
haha bring on the offseason debates!!!

umm so let's see....
Colore = color
Rojo = red
Rio = river. except for when it's ' 川 '... which is japanese for rio. which is mexican ...imean spanglish for... ....well you get the idea.....

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #12
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Colorado just means literally "color red" or "to blush" as in ponerse colorado, literally, "to put on a red color." Rio Rojo is Red River.
On a real note regarding spanish that i've said something offensive, condescending and derogatory....
there are quite a few things named after the color red... i.e. the sunset glow on the mountains ... like the 'Sangre De Cristo' (Blood of Christ) mountains of NM and CO, and the 'Sandia' (watermelon)mountains outside Albuquerque.

And the Red river should really be the Rio Amarillo (yellow).... cause the nasty ass moly mine (just west of the town of Red river, and a superfund site) runoff can turn the whole Rio Grande chalk yellow when it flash floods.....

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I was a little bored, so Jackson and I took a road trip down to Red River yesterday to use one of our free days and see a new mountain. Even though they are selling 1/2 price ticket until mid-month, it was not crowded. The tourists all seemed to be from Oklahoma and Texas, and I didn't see many locals other than the few patrolers I talked with.
I would say 90% of the people there stuck to the green groomers. Heck, there was fresh snow right under the chair that no-one was hitting!

The mountain was surprisingly steep, with lots of decent blues, a handful of good blacks and even a couple double blacks.

IMO the best runs were along a ridge skiers left of the Platinum chair. Cat Skinner, Powder Keg and Bad Medicine were my favorites.

After talking with a patroler I headed out skiers left of Bad Medicine, they don't rope it because ("none of our guests ever go over there") and found some really nice steep trees that would be fantastic with another foot of snow.

I did not see any "huts" anywhere on the mountain.

Stopped in the "Lift House" for lunch and beers. I was less than impressed with the food, especially for the cost....and beer was a little pricey too, $4 a PBR, $5.50 a Blue Moon....

The town itself seemed kinda neat. Although it was obvious with restaurant names like "Shotgun Willie's" and "Texas Red's Steakhouse" who they cater too.

Oh, and I did see a sign on Main St. for the "Rio Rojo Inn", I doubt they would have used the wrong spanish for their businesses' name...

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote