Old 03-04-2011   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Rabbit Ears Pass Backcountry

Does anyone have any information on a good place to backcountry ski around Rabbit Ears Pass or Steamboat? I'm heading up there this weekend and want to get some backcountry turn in; however, i've never skiied the area. Please let me know if you have any good spots. Thanks alot.

River Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Steamboat locals are supposedly very jealous about their BC spots but I was shown around by an almost complete stranger and then again in the summer shown some really cool looking routes.

Rabbit ears has little to offer a skier, but things north of town are much more interesting. I was taken into fish creek canyon from the hill, but it was rather complicated with lots of trail branches and some pretty heavy consequences for the wrong turn. Find a local or a good topo.

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #3
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Buff pass is the way to go
Bamfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #4
Hahns Peak, Farwell Mnt are both worth a walk. I have skied both. Lots of potential NW of Pearl Lake but access is an issue - both long approach and private property.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #5
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Depending on how you aproach it you have a few options. send me a pm with yout T.I and I might be able to point you in the right direction. If you find the sled lots just ask for a tow, look for skis.

good people, real loud.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #6
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 90's
I agree. Haans Peek. There is a great cafe for apre or early breakfast too.
swifth2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #7
Rabbit ears and Buff pass are overrun with noisy, two stroke machines. If that's alright with you then you might be able to find good snow if it hasn't been chewed up by the sleds or tracked out by towed boarders/skiers. Personally, I'd go elsewhere
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #8
Unfortunately not a good source for either, but cmikes info is a bit off. They both have non motorized areas.

Not that steep but always kind wondered how turns on Mt Baker would be. It is an old ski area that is across from muddy pass by the Walden turn on 40. Looks mostly mellow but pretty fun and never tracked.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #9
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Tons of good backcountry around. Stop by the local Forest Service office and they can show you all the areas around with non-motorized access. Also the old Stagecoach Ski Area south of town has some pretty awesome old runs that are really easy to access and nobody really goes there. The stuff on Rabbit Ears is mostly low angle but if your good with a topo there are lots of runs with just a bit of effort. Buffalo Pass is also awesome but the access can be long depending on how far back you go. That being said their are plenty of runs that aren't more than a mile or two up the buffalo pass road. Be careful the pow might be so deep you need a snorkel! Go champagne pow!
powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #10
The OC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Stay up on Rabbit Ears or Buff.... Yeah, that would be good for you to stay up there...

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote