Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 12-05-2011   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
Prophet NTN walk/ski mechanism repair

I love my prophets in the front and side country:unbelievable control with a dropped knee or with alpine turns. I think the NTN set up is a bit heavy for back country though.
Honestly I can't appreciate much of a difference between walk and ski modes. So when I lost the screw that mounts the walk/ski mechanism bar to the heel, I didn't sweat it too much. Anyone have any experience with this problem? or comments on walk-ski mode differences?
There is a pic at the bottom of the below web page (the top left pic of the bottom group) and the screw is on the right side of the pic.
Telemark Skiing Reviews : Garmont Prophet NTN

brzcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #2
durango, Colorado
i own a pair of the garmont vodoo boots they have the same walk/ski system i noticed that to get a the full freedom while in walk mode i need to open my top buckles, however i lost a screw last year and i noticed that with out the retention of the intact system the range of motion has no bounds and the difference is much more noticeable, i found it to be prohibitively so while skiing. i was able to find a screw that worked made sure to Teflon the crap out of it, totally worth it, i would also add that without the screw the system will fall apart and you may loose other integral pieces (ie. the bar), probably a more expensive fix, hope this helped, cheers! and happy shredding!

carnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #3
durango, Colorado
ill also add that the screw i found was a bit long and i had to grind it down to insure it wouldn't punch through my liner and into my heal you can check this by removing your liner. the female end of the connection is open to the inside of the boot shell and super easy to find
carnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
Thanks for the tips. When I spoke to the local gear guru, he said the problem would be most noticeable when I get pitched backwards. I did find a too long 6 metric screw at the local hardware store and had to grind them. One tip a buddy shared was to fit a nut over the screw before grinding. Then, when you back the nut off, it helps re-thread the screw. Now, I'll have to test the performance of the repair...
brzcr is offline   Reply With Quote